Education Abroadarrow_forward


In order to be eligible to study abroad, students must:

  • Be an active student in the term of application
  • Be clear of all probations - Academic, Labor and Social
  • Have a GPA of 2.25 or higher for a short-term program (summer; winter) or a 2.8 or higher for a semester program
  • Have studied at Berea for at least two semesters and be returning after their study abroad experience for at least one more semester
  • Be over the age of 18
  • Meet all College immunization requirements

Funding Limitations

Berea College permits the use of student international travel funds to support one experience per student. Proposals for travel will be evaluated in a competitive process and are subject to available funds.

No funding will be provided for independent studies, team-initiated studies, or internships in international settings. Additionally, no institutional funding or fundraising will be provided for performance groups, even though associated with a Summer I class, beyond that available through restricted endowed accounts held by academic departments.

Travel Advisory Restrictions

The U.S. State Department maintains a list of travel advisories that assesses risk for all countries, with Level 1 being the lowest risk rating and Level 4 being the highest. In general, Berea College supports study abroad programs in travel advisory levels 1 and 2.

If you are considering applying for a program in an country with a Travel Advisory level 3, please consult with our Education Abroad Advisor to determine if you need to request special permission.

Berea College will not fund, recognize or grant credit to students traveling internationally to areas under a United States Department of State Travel Advisory Level 4, nor to any other country or area of a country that may, in the sound judgment of Berea College, be deemed high risk (such as specific regions of a country that are mentioned in a U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory).

International Students on F-1 Visas

F-1 International students are already having an intercultural experience through study at Berea, but there are a few opportunities for a secondary study abroad experience.

Students With Other Immigration Statuses

Students here under the status of DACA, permanent residency or refugee may be eligible for certain study abroad experiences and need to consult with the Director of the CIE at least 6 months prior.

Catalog and Student Handbook

Berea College has also established several Education-Abroad Policies that are published in the Catalog and Student Handbook:

»See: Catalog and Student Handbook