Economics and Business
The mission of the Economics and Business Department is to provide inclusive educational opportunities aimed at developing competencies necessary for meaningful contributions to the professional and academic fields of business and economics. These opportunities are provided in a continuous learning environment for faculty and students. Departmental goals are based on the College’s established broad learning goals, Great Commitments, and aims of General Education.
Opportunities & Internships
- Berea Business students intern in high profile firms like: KPMG, Ernst and Young, Deloitte (Accounting), American Express, BlackRock, JP Morgan, Bank of America, Goldman Sachs, State Street Global Advisors, MasterCard, The Motley Fool, Royal Bank of Canada (Finance), Elbit Systems of America and PwC (Data Science), Big Ass Solutions (Management), WKYT and ConsultWebs (Marketing).
- Our Business students also complete internships with many nonprofit organizations like: Habitat for Humanity (Accounting), Paramount Theatre (Arts Marketing in Ashland KY), Starfish International (Teaching young women entrepreneurship in The Gambia, Africa), and Kentucky Center for Restorative Justice.
- Economics students complete prestigious research internships at places like: the University of Chicago, Vanderbilt University, Virginia Tech and The Ohio State University.
- Economics students have also done a variety of internships in firms or non-profit organizations including but not limited to: the Royal Bank of Canada, Southwest Airlines, Wells Fargo, Big Ass Solutions, Kentuckians for the Commonwealth, and Habitat for Humanity.
- Berea Economics graduates pursue PhD or Master’s degrees in a variety of programs in Economics or related fields a number of prestigious institutions, including but not limited to: Columbia University, University of Chicago, University of Minnesota, Virginia Tech, Georgetown University, University of Pittsburgh, University of Kentucky, Oxford University, University of Pennsylvania, and University of Oregon.
- Berea College’s unique work-study program allows significant work experience and builds a professional resume. Typical business related jobs on campus include: the Berea College Motley Fool Investment Club, Financial Aid, Integrated Marketing and Communications, Purchasing, Accounts Payable, Operations and Sustainability, the Berea College Visitor Center and Shoppe.
Careers & Outcomes
Berea Economics and Business graduates are distinguished by their practical experience gained with the work-study program and internships. They find employment or continue their field of study in a variety of fields and occupations such as:
- Marketing professionals
- Financial Analyst
- Economic Consultant
- Certified Public Accountants
- Business Management/Administration
- Economics Professor
- Wealth Advisor
- Social Justice/Non-profit Activist
- Students attend graduate schools such as Yale, Cornell, Northwestern, University of Kentucky, and Ohio State
Berea College | Draper 118 | CPO 2193 | Berea, KY 40404 | 859-985-3139