Frequently Asked Questions

What makes a Non-Traditional Student?

One of the below or any combination of the three:

Age 24 or older
Is a parent of a dependent child.

What are my living Options?

You have three options:

• On Campus – Residential Halls
• Ecovillage – apartments for married students and/or those who are parents with dependent children
• Off Campus Housing

Should I decide to live in the Residence Hall when I first attend, when can I move off campus and how do I apply?

You may move after the first semester (or before in unusual circumstances).

• Apply in the Residence Life Office on the 3rd Floor of the Woods Penn Building. Just ask for an Off Campus Housing application form, which is simple to fill out.
• For married students, who want to live off campus, you will need to bring the marriage license into the Residence Life office as well.
• When you find your apartment make sure to provide the Collegium office with your new address.
• Your off campus application is needed by the Financial Aid office to help them determine your financial need for housing. Therefore, if you plan to move out of the Residence Hall for spring semester, please get this form submitted before the Christmas break.
• If you want to live off-campus just for the summer, Spring semester ends the first week of May, so you ought to submit your Off Campus application  and start searching apartment listings in March.
• If your living, parentage and/or marital status changes, please inform Student Services, so changes can be made in BANNER – our database.
• For those getting married or are becoming a single parent and you wish to live in the Ecovillage, please contact Elaine Adams at 859-985-3179 or for an application packet.

How much financial Aid will I receive a semester to live off campus or in the Ecovillage?

Each student’s grant aid disbursement will vary dependent upon the EFC and the student’s classification. There is no fixed amount that a student will receive. However the aid will likely be equivalent to that which it would cost to afford housing in a residence hall and receive a meal plan.
• It might be disbursed through direct deposit unless it is the first semester, then it might be disbursed through a check.
• You will usually receive the disbursement about two weeks after the beginning of the semester.
• For those living in the Ecovillage, your rent is billed to your student account and deducted from your student aid before your financial disbursement is issued to you.
• For those finding off-campus housing, make sure you have enough money for a security deposit and first month’s rent (and utility deposits as well). This is money you’ll need before you receive your financial aid disbursement as financial aid will not cover these initial costs for you.
•  For those living in the Ecovillage, a deposit is not required for apartments. However, you’ll need deposits for utilities (see below).

How do I get my utilities turned on and how much will it cost to get started?

• Go to Berea Municipal Utilities for your water and electricity. Please take your lease or rental agreement and a form of legal identification with you. For gas, go to Delta Gas.
• If moving into the Ecovillage, you’ll receive a letter when you check-in to take with you to the utility company.
• The deposit for water, electric, and sewer at the Berea Municipal Utilities  is $240 and the deposit for Delta Gas is $90.00. See the Utilities Directory for more specific information.

How do I get SNAP (food stamp benefits) if I am living off campus or in the Ecovillage?

• First, you will need to go the Financial Aid office about a week after the beginning of the semester to get your student meal status form. This form will also need a signature from the Labor Office and the Collegium Office to be ready to turn in with the SNAP application.
• For EV tenants, a letter is provided for you by the Ecovillage Coordinator to take with you to Community Based Services when you apply for SNAP. You’ll also want to provide them with your financial award letter.
• Community Based Services, where you apply, is located in Richmond, Kentucky. This is where you’ll need to meet with your case manager. There is a local office in Berea which is now only a call center, but you can drop off, or fax paperwork to the Berea location.
• SNAP benefits are renewable every six months at which time they will provide you with paperwork that needs to be signed and returned to them, either in person, by mail or by fax.
•  For EV residents, we can fax your SNAP and KTAP paperwork for you in the office.

How do I get a parking decal?

• The Parking Decals are sold at the Public Safety office at the beginning of the semester. Pay attention to the email announcements, because there is only a small window of time to purchase these decals. More information on price and type of decal can be found on the Public Safety page under the Campus Information tab.
• EV A white parking sticker will be issued to Ecovillage residents for free. Or you can buy a red parking sticker that can be used in other campus parking lots.

What resources are available to me specifically as a Non Trad?

• Frost Cottage: study house, community space for cooking, laundry, entertainment.
• Ecovillage Thursday Lunch program is offered  to all non trads. Lunch and guest speaker each Thursday in the Ecovillage Commons House at Noon.
• There are Non Trad Program Events throughout the year. Check your email often for notices of upcoming events. (If you or a non trad you know has not been receiving email, please contact Gayle Partain ( to be added to the list.
• CDL – Child Development Lab. This is a daycare that is located on-site at the Ecovillage. Students with children usually get priority registration, but children of staff and faculty attend the CDL as well.

Which administrators on campus deal with Non trad concerns?

• Gayle Partain – Non Traditional Staff Liaison
• Elaine Adams – Coordinator/Collegium for the Ecovillage
• Shai Anderson – International Office for International Non Trads
• Virgil Burnside – Vice President, Labor and Student Life

What is it like to live in a Residence Hall as a Non Trad?

• It can be a change to transition from living independently to living in the controlled environment of a residence hall.
• If this is difficult for you, try to use the Frost Cottage as a place to focus on homework, cook for yourself, and to feel at home.
• Get involved with other Non Traditionals and involve yourself with extracurricular activities. Visit Non-Trad Event page for more information.

Ecovillage Specific Questions:

What are the requirements to live in the Ecovillage?

• You must either be a single parent or married (with or without children).

What does it cost to rent an apartment?

• We have one, two, and three-bedroom apartments available and prices range from $453.00 through $620.00 per month for the 2015-16 school year.
• Utilities are NOT included in the rent.
• Internet and laundry services ARE included in the rent.

Will I be able to afford it?

Please work with financial aid on your budget and living expenses needs so appropriate monies can be allocated to you.

Are there other financial resources available to help with expenses?

• Single parents can sign up for KTAP (Kentucky Temporary Assistance Program) for monthly cash assistance
• Child Care Council for child care coverage. They are not currently taking new applications. However, if you do receive KTAP, you can receive child care coverage through them.
• Section 8. Section 8 is a federal housing program. The Ecovillage is a. Section 8 approved facility. You may qualify for reduced rent through this program
• SNAP. As noted above, most students qualify for assistance with food stamps.

Are the apartments furnished?

• The apartments come with a stove and refrigerator. The newer apartments also have a front-loading washer.
• Dryers are not allowed in individual apartments. However, there are dryers available in the Commons House laundry room for your use. Also, an indoor drying rack is provided to you and outside clotheslines are available for drying clothes outside.
• If your apartment has carpet, we can help provide you with a vacuum cleaner if you don’t have one.
• You must provide all your own furniture and household furnishings.
• If you are bringing used furniture, make sure mattresses, box springs, couches, chairs – any soft material items – are pest controlled before arriving. Make sure  they do not have holes in them as this is often where bed bugs reside. Heat treatment for bedding in a dryer on high heat for 20 minutes will clear the bugs. Diatomaceous Earth will clean the furniture and mattresses.
• If you wish to insure your personal belongings, you must buy your own renter’s insurance. The college insurance only covers the buildings themselves, not anyone’s personal belongings.

What do the apartments look like?

• Please see the website: Ecovillage.

For more information on moving to Berea College, peruse the Non-Trad website.