The U.S. Department of State’s Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program named 21 Berea College students as 2022 award winners. This record-setting number of students received more than $92,000 in funding to study abroad through the Gilman program.
Nearly 3,000 U.S. undergraduate students received Gilman Program awards from the March 2022 application deadline.
Berea College recipients, along with their study abroad location and semester, are:
- Michael Allen – Denmark and Iceland (Summer)
- Ema-Leigh Forbes – Costa Rica (Summer)
- Treasure Glover –Salamanca, Spain (Fall)
- Sophia Gueye – Italy (Summer)
- Kaylee Jorgensen – Salamanca, Spain (Fall)
- Seyram Komanyor – Ghana (Summer)
- Matthew McCandless –South Korea (Fall)
- Ania McDougal – Ecuador (Summer)
- Zoe Medeiros – Greece (Summer)
- Molly Miller-Garrison – Costa Rica (Summer)
- Trayvion Newton – Ghana (Summer)
- Thomas Ogburn – Chiang Mai, Thailand (Fall)
- Victor Penaloza – Costa Rica (Summer)
- Alejandro Ramos – Argentina (Summer)
- Heather Rapien – Greece (Summer)
- Bella Ray – Greece (Summer)
- Jared Sipple –Chiang Mai, Thailand (Summer)
- Hue Tran – Santiago, Chile (Fall)
- Callista Tyson – Ecuador (Summer)
- Noah Vargas – Costa Rica (Summer)
- Autumn Young – Germany and Poland (Summer)
The recipients of this prestigious scholarship are American undergraduate students attending 536 U.S. colleges and representing 49 U.S. states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. These Gilman Scholars will study or intern in 91 countries through April 2023. This group includes 20 recipients of the John McCain International Scholarship for the Children of Military Families (Gilman-McCain Scholarship), as well as Gilman Scholars supported by the governments of France, Israel, New Zealand, Wales, the Luso-American Development Foundation (FLAD) in Portugal, the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the United States (TECRO) and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
The complete list of students who have been selected to receive Gilman Scholarships this cycle, including the students’ home states, colleges or universities and host countries, is available at www.gilmanscholarship.org/program/program-statistics.