About the Executive Council
The Executive Council is charged to oversee campus governance; to identify what issues need governance attention; to prioritize policy and governance issues; to charge standing Committees and to form and charge ad hoc teams as necessary; to set agendas for College Faculty Assembly and General Assembly meetings; and to perform other tasks as enumerated below.
The Executive Council shares responsibility with the Strategic Planning Council to identify emerging issues that have institution-wide implications; and to communicate broadly with the campus community regarding the major issues that need to be addressed and to use the appropriate governance channels to address them.
The Executive Council coordinates the efforts of the various program councils and is generally responsible for the effective functioning of campus governance. On an ongoing basis it monitors operation of the governance system and, if necessary, recommends modifications for faculty approval. When directed, it also considers other matters of substance or procedure which concern either the College or General Assembly and which are not explicitly assigned to a program council. In addition, it regularly performs the following specific tasks:
- Annually designates the chair of College Faculty Assembly and General Assembly meetings.
- Designates the Faculty Secretary and appoints an alternate to record minutes if necessary.
- Sets the agenda for faculty meetings, distributes particulars of the agenda one week before the meeting, and, when necessary, arranges forums in advance of the meetings for faculty discussions of items on the agenda. Agendas, organized by the Executive Council, designate items for action by the College Faculty Assembly or the General Assembly.
- Forms ad hoc committees/teams as needed. The Council may appoint individuals to serve on ad hoc committees/teams.
- Serves as the nominating body for faculty councils and committees and for positions that are considered as committee service (e.g., Faculty Assemblies Chair, Faculty Secretary, Faculty Liaison to the Board of Trustees, and Faculty Advisors to the Student Government Association). This work is typically led by the Nominating Subcommittee which is comprised of the past chair, the chair-elect, the at-large College Faculty Assembly member, and the at-large General Assembly (non-College Faculty Assembly) member.
- Approves the official College Calendar.
- Assists the President as liaison between the faculties and the Board of Trustees.
The Executive Council is composed of the following:
- The President of the College
- The Provost
- The Dean of Faculty
- The chairpersons or a consistent designee from each of the following: Academic Program Council, Faculty Status Council, Labor Program Council, and Student Life Council.
- The faculty co-chair of the Strategic Planning Council
- The designated co-chair of the Staff Forum
- A representative of the Executive Committee of the Student Government Association
- Three persons elected at-large for three-year staggered terms from the General Assembly by the General Assembly, serving as chair-elect, chair, and past-chair during their terms of service.
- Two persons elected at-large for three-year terms by the General Assembly; one must be a College Faculty Assembly member and one must not.
The Executive Council has three constituent committees: the Awards Committee, the Committee for Socially Responsible Investing, and the Sustainability Committee.
Berea College | 330 Lincoln Hall | CPO 2204 | Berea, KY 40404 | 859-985-3489