In CELTS, we engage students in service, but also provide opportunities for leadership and learning. Our center serves as both operational base and service site for a host of programs. What makes our programs unique is the fact that students serve as Program Managers and staff for each of the service-based programs we host. Their responsibilities include:
- recruiting and training volunteers,
- planning and executing weekly program activities,
- facilitating team meetings and
- mentoring team members to develop the same skills.
We use a leadership development model that:
- emphasizes peer mentoring,
- students sharing knowledge with each other and
- student leaders facilitating service and learning experiences for those they lead.
Our programs exemplify the success we have with nurturing student leaders and living the practice of learning through service.