A Historic Place to Stay as You Start Your Berea Story
What is Sturt Cottage?
Nestled at the entrance to Berea College’s campus Sturt Cottage has been a part of Berea College since at least 1930. Today it serves as a guest house for prospective students to use as part of their Campus Visit to Berea College. Located directly next to the Office of Admissions, this five-bedroom guest house is your perfect home away from home as you visit Berea. Sturt Cottage offers our guests a place of comfort and rest during the exciting process of visiting our campus. Staying in Sturt Cottage is free of charge to visitors of the Admissions Office, so put the credit card away and stay with us instead!
Your stay will include:
- Free and convenient parking is located directly next to Sturt Cottage and the Office of Admissions
- Fast check-in & check-out; no key needed!
- Less than a 5-minute drive away from Interstate 75, Berea Walmart, and other restaurants and stores in Berea.
- Free Wi-Fi access! Just make a guest account and log on.
- Accessibility entrance, bedroom, and bathroom for guests with mobility concerns
- Easy access to help – text us and we will be happy to assist you! (Responses may be delayed from 12 a.m.-8 a.m.)
How can I book it?
If you’re interested in booking Sturt Cottage, let our team know after you book your campus visit online! Sturt Cottage reservations are available Sundays through Thursdays. (Currently Sturt Cottage is only booked one family at a time.) Coming with a friend? Call us to ask about multi-family stays.
Sturt Cottage availability is limited and subject to change, so we encourage guests to book as soon as possible. Should your Sturt Reservation need to be changed or cancelled, the Office of Admissions will contact you to create arrangements for an alternative solution.
To be eligible to stay in Sturt Cottage, guests must meet the following criteria:
- Guests must be visiting as part of an official Berea College Office of Admissions Campus Visit. (We cannot provide Sturt Cottage for guests who are booked for a visit through the Visitor’s Center or other offices on or off campus.)
- Guests may stay one night in the cottage. Morning visitors may stay the night before their visit, and afternoon visitors the night of.
- Guests must currently live at least one/two hour(s) away from Berea, KY. Guests that live in Berea, Richmond, Lexington, or other towns/counties surrounding Berea are not eligible.
- Current guidelines suggest those who feel ill should wear a mask when around others outside of the visit unit.
Rest with Comfort & Style
Sturt Cottage provides ample space for you and your family to relax and unwind after a long day of travel to Berea. Whether you relax in the living room with your newest show to binge, or study for that big exam in your bedroom, we got you covered.
• Living Room
When you enter Sturt Cottage, you’ll be greeted by a spacious living room for your family to gather in after a long day. Utilize our TV (equipped with an Amazon Fire Stick!) to watch the news or rest while our fireplace keeps you warm and cozy. To utilize streaming services, guests must log in via their own personal accounts.
Feeling a bit hungry? Use our full kitchen to cook a meal for you and your family or store some leftovers in the fridge to take home with you. Guests are given full access to a coffee bar and snacks as well during their stay. A small dining area for two with a writing desk is available for guests to use as well directly next to the kitchen.
• Laundry Area
Whether you need to take care of a last-minute laundry emergency or put some wrinkles out of your favorite sweater, rest easy knowing we have laundry access for guests to use. Pop what you need to in the washer and dryer and have your clothes fresh and ready for your visit!
- Yellow Bedroom – This bright room features a large window and ample view of Chestnut St. Featuring a full-size bed and private accessibility bathroom, this accessible room is a great option for those that want to brighten up their stay.
- Green Bedroom – Little brothers and sisters can explore with their imagination in this room inspired by the local forests around Berea. With a twin-over-full bunk bed, toys & games, and a small reading tent, let your younger family member’s imagination run wild in this room.
- Blue Bedroom – Nestled at the end of the house and facing Chestnut St, this room is nice and calming. With a rocking chair, queen-size bed, guests can rest easy in this space.
- Orange Bedroom – Perfect for studying, this room features a full writing desk and two twin beds for a bit of a quieter space to study and rest. Needing to get that big paper due while you’re visiting campus? This is the spot for you.
- Purple Bedroom – For those guests wanting to feel like royalty, this room features a queen-size bed, dresser, and their own private bathroom with a bathtub. It features a beautiful view of our Office of Admissions and is the perfect room for mom, dad, or even the prospective student to kick back and rest after driving all day.
Whether needing to take a quick break to get ready or a nice long shower to unwind, our three and a half bathrooms provide plenty of space and options for our guests. If you need to take a soak in the Purple Bedroom’s bathtub or simply get ready in the always sunny Yellow Bedroom’s bathroom, there’s something for everyone in the Cottage.
Guests are provided clean bath linens as part of their stay. Once you’re done with your visit just put these in the shower or bathtub for us to take and clean for our next guests!
What should I bring?
We know traveling can be stressful, so we don’t want our guests to worry! We provide all guests with snacks, fresh bed linens, and towels & washcloths as part of their stay with us. We suggest the following for you and your family to bring:
- Comfortable clothes and shoes for your Campus Visit. (Our walking tour is about 60-90 minutes long and the local weather will be under Berea, Kentucky.)
- Personal toiletries (i.e., soaps, shampoos, etc.) to use during your stay.
- Any other personal devices or items you need to make your stay enjoyable (i.e. phones, tablets, etc.).
- If the guest has applied, feel free to bring any remaining application components they need to submit for their application for admission.
How do I check in?
When reserving Sturt Cottage, guests will receive a separate e-mail with basic information about the Cottage and how to access the building. Guests do not receive a key to Sturt. Instead, they will utilize a code on the Front Door to unlock and access the building.
Guests may check-in after 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. If a guest needs to check in earlier, they should notify our team to make arrangements for this, pending availability.
How do I check out?
Guests must check out of Sturt Cottage by 9 a.m. Eastern Standard Time or prior to their visit starting if it is a morning visit.
When checking out, guests should complete the following steps before exiting the Cottage:
- Double checking all of their belongings have been packed and removed from the Cottage (Don’t forget any leftovers in the fridge or items in the nightstand/dressers).
- For any beds slept in, guests should strip the fitted sheet, flat sheet, and the two matching pillowcases and place them in the hamper in that bedroom (comforters and pillow shams can be left on the bed itself). Our Sturt Hospitality Associates will gather these to wash and clean for the next set of guests.
- For any towels, washcloths, or hand towels used, guests should place them in the shower or bathtub of that bathroom. Our Sturt Hospitality Associates will gather these to wash and clean for the next set of guests.
- Once guests have emptied the Cottage, they are welcome to come to the Office of Admissions next door and confirm they have checked out of the cottage.