The department’s curriculum is designed to enable students to:
- understand scientific inquiry
- introduce them to the major areas of biological science.
Objectives of the department are:
- to increase knowledge and appreciation of biological systems from the cell to the ecosystem,
- to create awareness and understanding of biological science’s role in social and economic affairs,
- to emphasize the importance of interdisciplinary science proficiency and experiences,
- to develop critical and independent thinking skills, and
- to provide the biological background necessary for entrance into a career, graduate school or professional school.
- Qualified students may serve as departmental laboratory and teaching assistants. Students may also engage in faculty-directed research and independent study opportunities.