The St. John’s Bible Heritage Edition consists of 1,150 pages bound into seven volumes, each 2 feet by 3 feet when open and weighing about 20 pounds. They present the books of the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation, through calligraphy and illumination, a technique used to embellish the work with luminous colors, especially gold and silver leafing. Continue reading St. John’s Bible Returns, Finds Permanent Home at Berea College →
• “It” hasn’t been done on this scale since medieval times.
• “It” measures 2 feet by 3 feet.
• “It” weighs 20 pounds.
• “It” combines ancient techniques and 21st century technologies.
• “It” took more than 13 years to create.
• “It” involved scores of individuals who used disparate materials including egg yolks, turkey and goose feathers, Chinese candle soot, calf skin, brilliant colors made from mineral and organic sources, as well as gold and platinum leaf. Continue reading Berea’s Collection of Bibles Gets New Addition from St. John’s →