When ordering from BC Catering and Facilities, the following “greening” practices are followed automatically:
- Permanent-ware will be used for events with up to 100 attendees
- For events over 100, BC Catering uses the approved compostable disposables
- Organic and locally sourced products always available
- Indoor or outdoor recycling, composting, and trash bins accompany your order
- For events with 100+ attendees, student volunteer Recycling Ambassadors can be provided to help attendees dispose of items properly with 2 WEEKS notice.
- We encourage departments with student laborers to utilize our training program to allow for individuals to be Recycling Ambassadors for large events, email Yryskeldi Emilbek uulu to set up training (email@example.com).
Unless the event is a campus wide event, YOU MUST contact Kevin Long (Kevin_Long@berea.edu) for pickup of trash, recycling, and compost.
Get started with the Zero Waste Form here.
Follow these steps to make your individual events zero waste:
STEP 1: Do you have compostable materials for your event?
- Materials must be ordered 5 working days prior to your event.
- Once the order is placed, Ronnie Vanhook, Storeroom Manager with Facilities, will notify you when the order is ready for pickup, or will make arrangements with you for delivery. Pickup hours are Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM (closed noon to 1:00 PM for lunch).
- Pickup location for compostable supplies is Facilities Storeroom, 310 Main Street (across from The Farm Store).
Order compostable supplies through our Zero Waste Form.
STEP 2: Do you have landfill, recycling, and compost bins for your event?
Events taking place in the following buildings have bins located here:
- Alumni Building: Campus Life Office has the keys to the storage area to the bins. Please return bins to the Campus Life Office once you are finished.
- Stephenson Hall: Bins are located under the stairs in stairwell on the first floor. Please return to the area once you are finished.
- Woods Penn: Bins are located in the kitchen area. Center for International Education office has the keys to the kitchen if locked. Please return to kitchen once you are finished.
For events taking place in other buildings, email Kevin Long (Kevin_Long@berea.edu) to have event bins set up for your event.
STEP 3: Email Kevin Long to have compost, recycling, and trash picked up from your event.
- Event waste will not be picked up unless Kevin Long is contacted to have waste picked up, email him at (Kevin_Long@berea.edu)