The Berea College Bike Club (BCBC) is the most recent initiative launched strictly for students by the Office of Sustainability in partnership with Public Safety in an effort to increase Berea College student access to affordable alternative transportation. We also hope the program will encourage students to become lifelong cyclists.
Students can rent bikes for $20 a semester and receive a $10 rebate if it is returned in good working condition at the end of the rental period.
Berea College Bike Club members will have access to assistance in repairing their bike with our in-house bike technician, as well as invitations to workshops and BCBC biking excursions.
What are the rules?
Members are solely responsible for properly securing bikes to bike racks. Appropriate locks are provided. In the case of theft, members MUST inform Berea College Public Safety and file a report, and the Alternative Transportation Coordinator must be contacted about the theft as soon as possible. Recovered bikes will be returned to the members.
- Members MUST be enrolled at Berea College at the time of application submission and plan to be enrolled the following semester.
- Providing inaccurate information may result in disqualification from the Bike Program.
- Bikes are rented on a first-come-first-served basis, by order of wait list and RSVP.
- Student has complete responsibility in maintaining the bicycle. BCBC shall be held blameless in any dispute and/or litigation.
- Student takes full responsibility for the bike and its accessories.
- Students pay a $20 fee per academic year, with a $10 rebate available if the bike is returned at the end of the academic year in good working condition.
- Bikes may only be rented for use at Berea College and in the Berea community. Bikes may not be taken outside of the Berea community for any reason.
Update: As of 12/1/2019 BCBC changed its policy. The $20 fee is no longer a semester rental fee, but a yearly rental fee. Bikes will be distributed at the Fall of each academic year.
To reserve your bike:
- Fill out an application. Apply here
- Your information will be verified to determine eligibility.*
*If you are put on a waiting list, you will be notified when your name comes up to receive your bike.