Even if you know what your major is going to be and complete the requirements for admission to that major early, you still must wait until the The Declaration of Major process, which the Office of the Registrar facilitates.
Declaration of Major
Students officially declare their major during their fourth term at Berea College (usually the Spring of sophomore year).
Declaration of Major Timeline:
- Students receive notification they will participate in the Declaration of Major process.
- Students get an invitation to an information session to learn more about the process.
- After students return from Winter Break, the Office of the Registrar asks students to complete the Declaration of Major process in MyBerea.
- Academic departments review students’ requests to declare a major.
- Students complete any additional requirements (interviews, etc.) specific to academic departments.
- Receive notification of admission, if chosen.
- Admitted students will be asked to complete an Electronic Curriculum Plan or a term-by-term plan for how they will complete all their degree requirements before their expected graduation date.
Support for Undecided or Exploratory Students
If you are undecided about your major, designate “exploratory” after your first year at Berea College, or need help deciding what major(s) to choose, Channing Francis, Student Success Advisor, can help you…
- learn more about yourself and your interests, abilities, skills, values, or strengths,
- explore major or career possibilities that interest you, and…
- Ultimately choose between one or more majors.