Compton Chair of Sustainability;
Associate Professor of Environmental Studies;
Chair of Academic Division II
Draper Building, 314
MWF 11-12 at Goldthwait Agriculture Building 2nd floor
MW 3-4 at Draper
- ANR 100 A (Mon/Wed: 12:40 pm – 2:30 pm)
- GSTR 110 V (Mon/Wed/Fri: 8:00 am – 9:10 am)
- SENS 100 A (Mon/Wed/Fri: 9:20 am – 10:30 am)
- A.B. Biology, Harvard-Radcliffe,
- M.S. Crop Science, University of Kentucky,
- Ph.D. Crop and Soil Science, Cornell University,
Honors and Awards
- Buhl Professor of the Humanities, 2010-2011, Chatham University
- ENG 280
- Ecological Weed Management
- GSTR 210
- MAT 108
- SENS 100
- Vegetable gardens
- Biking and hiking
- Association of Environmental Studies and Science (journal editorial board)
- Agronomy Society (Agronomy Journal Associate Editor)
Papers and Publications
- Raven, Hassenzahl, Hager, Gift, and Berg. 2015. Environment. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ.
- Black, B., Hassenzahl, D.M., Stephens, J., Gift, N, and Finewood, M.
2013. Encyclopedia of Climate Change Volumes 1 – 4. ABC-Clio,
Santa Barbara, CA.
- Gift, N. Spring 2011. Good Weed, Bad Weed: Who’s Who, What to do, and Why Some Deserve a Second Chance. St. Lynn’s Press, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Gift, N. 2009. A Weed by Any Other Name: The Virtues of a Messy Lawn, or Learning to Love the Plants We Don’t Plant. Beacon Press, Boston, MA.
- Traw, B. and N. Gift. 2010. Environmental Microbiology: Tannins and the microbial decomposition of leaves on the forest floor. The American Biology
Teacher 72: 506-512.
- Gift, N., R.R. Hahn, and J. Mt Pleasant. 2008. Quackgrass managed as a cover crop in herbicide-resistant silage corn. Weed Biology and Management 8(3): 154-160.
- Gift, N. and M. Krasny. 2003. The great fossil fiasco: teaching about peer review. The American Biology Teacher 65: 270-278.
A native of Lexington, I am thrilled to return to the Bluegrass region. I find myself in the odd position of being a soccer mom to 2 daughters. We look forward to exploring the outdoors and the arts opportunities.
- Chair of the Board of the Kentucky Environmental Foundation
- Board Member: Pine Mountain Settlement School