13. Recruitment materials [FR 4.6]
Standard 13: Recruitment materials and presentations accurately represent the institution’s practices and policies. (Federal Requirement 4.6)
Status: In Compliance
Berea College’s recruitment materials and presentations accurately represent the institution’s practices and policies. The Berea College Office of Admissions produces and disseminates various publications and materials pertinent to the character, practices, and policies of the College. The primary recruitment materials distributed by the Office of Admissions include the Berea College Introduction Brochure, the Berea College Benefits Brochure, and the Berea College Flyer.
Much of the information contained in these publications is also available online through the Berea College Web site and the Berea College Prospective Students Web site, which also includes the online application, and a paper version available for download.
Most admissions publications, print and Web-based, encourage students to contact the Office of Admissions for additional information. Upon making such contact, qualified prospective students receive a variety of personalized letters particular to their academic, extracurricular, and social interests, in addition to letters regarding application status. Prospective students also receive supplemental materials and flyers that include the Berea College Black Cultural Center Brochure, Berea College Unique Christian Heritage Brochure, and the Affording a Berea College Education Brochure.
All recruitment materials are designed to present a general overview of current and prospective student experiences, including academic programs, admission and financial aid policies; athletic opportunities; the Berea College labor program and student life/residential aspects of the College. While no admissions publication can be plenary in scope, Berea College attempts to portray these aspects of the College accurately and in a manner consistent with the intent of the various programs described. All publications and recruitment materials are provided free of charge to prospective students.
Most recruitment materials and publications are updated annually in response to changing information, policies, and input from various constituents. In addition to printed materials and the campus website, Admissions offers students the opportunity to register for personalized content via an online interest form. Also, Admissions provides prospective students with current student testimonials organized through a Student Blog and also maintains an Admissions Facebook page. The College seeks the assistance of external consultants every five to seven years to update its literature. The Matale Line company in Seattle has been hired to assist in updates for admissions, general, and donor literature expected to be completed by the fall of 2011.
The Office of Admissions participates annually in college fair programs organized within the College’s “In-territory” region, which includes all of Kentucky and select counties in Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia. Participating staff members are fully trained, professional admissions representatives. These representatives participate in bi-annual training events that include general information sessions that address current admissions policy and include meetings with various College faculty, staff, and administrators. Additionally, all admissions staff have access to a comprehensive Berea College Office of Admissions Training and Resource Manual, is also available for admissions representatives.
The Office of Admissions also sponsors several on-campus events for prospective students, including Pinnacle Scholars Award Program, ASPIRES program, Carter G. Woodson Open House Weekend, Carter G. Woodson Legacy Awards Event and weekend events throughout the year. Daily tours and information sessions are also conducted for prospective students, parents, families, and the general public.
Supporting Documents and Evidence
- Office of Admissions (Website) <http://www.berea.edu/admissions/>
- Berea College Introduction Brochure
- Berea College Benefits Brochure
- Berea College Flyer
- Berea College Website Home Page (Website) <http://www.berea.edu/>
- Berea College Online Application (Website) <http://www.berea.edu/admissions/applynow/>
- Berea College Paper Application available for download (Website) <http://www.berea.edu/admissions/documents/2011%202012%20Application.pdf>
- Berea College Black Cultural Center Brochure
- Berea College Unique Christian Heritage Brochure
- Affording a Berea College Education Brochure
- Academic Programs (Website) <http://www.berea.edu/academics/deptsprograms.asp>
- Financial Aid Policies (Website) <http://www.berea.edu/studentfinancialaid/>
- Athletic Opportunities (Website) <http://www.berea.edu/athletics/>
- Labor Program (Website) <http://www.berea.edu/laborprogram/>
- Student Life/Residential Aspects (Website) <http://www.berea.edu/campuslife/>
- Online Interest Form (Website) <http://www.berea.edu/admissions/requestinfo/default.asp>
- Currently Enrolled Students’ Blogs (Website) <http://bereaadmissions.wordpress.com/>
- Admissions Facebook Page (Website) <http://www.facebook.com/berea.admissions?ref=ts>
- The Matale Line Company (Website) <http://mataleline.com/mataleline/>
- Office of Admissions Training and Resource Manual