From national awards and rankings to national press coverage, Berea College has enjoyed a banner year. Here’s a list of accolades and accomplishments we’re thankful for and proud of. Our success is due to a beloved community working toward a better future we hope one day is available to all. Happy Thanksgiving!
- The North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE) presented Berea College with the 2019 Outstanding Service to Environmental Education award.
- The Richmond-Madison County branch of the NAACP honored Berea College at the annual Freedom Fund Banquet.
- Berea College was featured on CNN in a major documentary created by Fareed Zakaria. Watch below.
CNN's SCHEME and SCANDAL: Inside the College Admissions CrisisA special CNN documentary that aired Sunday, October 20, examined how the college admissions process in America became so broken. Titled SCHEME and SCANDAL: Inside the College Admissions Crisis, the documentary investigated how some students and their high-profile celebrity parents have turned to criminal rigging of their applications in pursuit of entrance to the most in-demand colleges. The hour-long program also reported on lesser-known cases of cheating that did not make the headlines: paying bribes to coaches, admissions officers, and other school officials, hiring standardized test takers, obtaining false diagnoses to secure more time for testing, and more.
- Berea College was also featured in an NPR special report recently. Listen online.
- Berea’s Center for Excellence in Learning through Service (CELTS) collected 774 bags of food for the local food pantry through their annual Hunger Hurts Food Drive.
- The Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education ranked Berea College the No. 1 Best Value College in the nation in their 2020 College Rankings.
- Berea gained the No. 1 spot in the nation for campus engagement in the 2019 Sustainable Campus Index.
- Washington Monthly named Berea College the “Best Bang for the Buck” and a top five liberal arts college.
- Using the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) pass rate (we have enjoyed 5 years of 100% of our graduates passing the exam on their first taking) and net-price of nursing schools to formulate its rankings, Nursing Explorer named the Berea College Nursing program as the best in Kentucky.
- The newly built Margaret A. Cargill Natural Sciences and Health Building was awarded LEED gold certification by the U.S. Green Building Council and full project certification by the Forest Stewardship Council.