Foster G. McGaw Professor in Nursing;
Associate Professor of Nursing
At Berea College since 2004
Margaret A. Cargill Natural Sciences and Health Building, 343
Mon/Wed: 10 a.m. – noon
Thur: By appointment
- NUR 301 A (Thur: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.) (Mon/Wed: 8 – 9:15 a.m.)
- NUR 447 A (Tue/Fri: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.) (Mon/Wed: 12:40 – 2:30 p.m.)
- DNP – University of Kentucky, Nursing Practice
- MSN – University of Kentucky, Nurse Midwifery
- BSN – Eastern Kentucky University, Nursing
- ADN – Presentation College, Nursing
- Diploma –Nettleton College, Business Administration
- NUR 447: Nursing Care of Women & the Childbearing Family
- NUR 450: Synthesis in Practice
- WGS 286: Childbearing a Global Perspective
Carol Kirby came to Berea College in 2004 after many years of professional nursing practice. During the past eleven years at Berea College, Carol has taught a variety nursing courses and served as the Nursing Program Chair from 2010 – 2014. She is currently teaching senior nursing students.
Research/Scholarly Work Foci
- Preterm birth
- Cesarean Birth Rate – implications for practice
- Maternal Anxiety as predictor for cesarean delivery
- Member of Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society 2010 – present
- Member of the National League for Nursing 2006 – present
- Member of the Kentucky League Nursing 2006 – present
- Member of the American College of Nurse Midwives (ACNM) 1998 – present
- Committee Member, Nursing Program 2014 Search, Program Chair
- Committee Member, Natural Sciences & Health Building Planning 2012-2014
- Parliamentarian, General Faculty Assembly and the College Faculty Assembly, per request of the Executive Council. 2011- 2014.
- Chair of the Nursing Program, Appointment by Dean of the Faculty, May 2010-2014.
- Committee Member, Faculty Learning Community Workgroup on e-Portfolios – 2012 to present
- Committee Member, Enrollment Planning Work Group—Academic Programs subgroup 2011-2012.
- Committee Member, Biology – Anatomy & Physiology Faculty Search 2011-12
- Committee Chair, Nursing Program Faculty Search 2011-2012
- Committee Member, Berea College Presidential Search 2011.
- Committee Member, Berea College Restructuring Committee: Summer Design Team C, Summer 2010
- Nursing Program Faculty Search. Committee Chair, 2010-2011
- Council Member, Kentucky One Health – Berea, KY, Patient and Family Advisory Council, 2010 – Present
- Past Board Member, Daniel Boone Chapter of the American Red Cross 2010 – 2012
- Kirby, Carol A., “Prenatal Anxiety and Cesarean Delivery in a Clinic Population” (2015). Maternal, Child Health and Neonatal Nursing Commons, Digital Commons Network, BePress.com http://network.bepress.com/medicine-and-health-sciences/nursing/maternal-child-health- and-neonatal-nursing/
- Kirby, Carol A., “Prenatal Anxiety and Cesarean Delivery in a Clinic Population” (2015). DNP Practice Inquiry Projects. Paper 39. http://uknowledge.uky.edu/dnp_etds/39
- Kirby, Carol A. “Managerial Epidemiology – Case Studies” authored for Dr. Steven Fleming, University of Kentucky, College of Public Health, “Managerial Epidemiology” textbook website (2011).
- Kirby, Carol A. Maternity & Women’s Health Subject Matter Expert / Case Study reviewer and author for 24 chapter case studies – Ricci, S. (2012). Essentials of Maternity, Newborn and Women’s Health Nursing (3rd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (Peer reviewed, online instructor resources for text).
- Kirby, Carol A. “Prenatal Anxiety and Cesarean Delivery in a Clinic Population”. Presented in defense of doctorate (peer reviewed). University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, 4/20/2015.
- Kirby, Carol A. “Use of PDA’s in Nursing Education”. Presented (Regional Nursing Conference – Peer Reviewed) 5th Annual Faculty Development Workshop: University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, 5/21/09.
- Kirby C., Farley P., & Villaran T. “Use of PDA’s in Nursing Education”. Co-presenters 2009 Technology Integration Program for Nursing Education Practice (TIP-NEP) Conference. Funded by a HRSA grant to Duke University in collaboration with Western Carolina University.