Social Services

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program (KTAP), Medicaid, Child Care Assistance (CCA), and Kentucky Children’s Health Insurance Program (KCHIP)

  • SNAP helps individuals and families stretch their food budget and buy healthy foods.
  • KTAP provides cash assistance to families with children to help pay for basic needs such as rent, utilities, transportation costs, car repairs, and other household expenses.
  • Medicaid helps cover costs for needed medical care including preventive health care.
  • Child Care Assistance aids eligible working families that meet income limits with the cost of childcare.
  • The online application can be found at
    • Stop by Financial Aid to pick up the income verification form before applying for SNAP.
    • To apply for any these benefits online, create an account through the self-service portal listed above or submit a paper application in person to the Community Based Services Office.
    • Address: 204 Pauline Drive Berea, KY 40403-0461 | Phone: (855) 306-8959 | Fax: (859) 986-4443 | Hours: 8:00 am-4:30 pm (M-F)
  • KCHIP provides free or low-cost health insurance for children younger than 19 without insurance.
    • To access a paper application, visit

Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC)

  • WIC assists women that are pregnant, recently had a baby, are breastfeeding, or have a child younger than 5 years old by providing the following services: Education and services, breastfeeding promotion and education, a monthly food prescription of nutritious foods, and access to maternal, prenatal and pediatric health-care services.
  • Madison County Health Department – Berea Clinic
    • 1001 Ace Drive Berea, KY 40403 | Phone: (859) 986-1192
    • More information can be found at
    • Directions: From the Ecovillage, turn left onto Ellipse St. Go past the Community school, continue through the stop light, and turn left onto Rash Road. Drive approximately half a mile. The Health Department is on the left.
  • The online application can be found at
    • To apply, contact the Madison County Health Department.
    • Richmond Address: 214 Boggs Lane, PO Box 1208 Richmond, KY 40476-1208 | Phone: (859) 626-4241 | Fax: (859) 626-4298 | E-mail:

HUD Section 8 and Public Housing

  • HUD provides rental assistance to individuals or families renting apartments from Section 8 approved facilities (e.g. Ecovillage).
  • The online application can be found at
    • To apply, fill out an online application and visit the Richmond office.
    • Address: 118 N 2nd Street Richmond, KY 40475 | Phone: (859) 623-4246
  • Other low-income rentals/housing information can be found at

A Note About Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program (KTAP)

KTAP has a 20-hour work requirement to qualify for the benefit – 30 hours if you have a child/children 6 or older. There is a five-year lifetime limit. Amount of assistance is approximately $225/month for parents with one child, $260/month for parents with 2 or more children. EXEMPTION: Students can count class time as work hours for up to 12 months. This will allow you to just work the 10 hours a week like other students for at least 12 months. Students receiving the KTAP exemption must provide verification of class hours monthly on their PA-33 form and return this by the 10th of each month for transportation assistance.