With a 12-2 conference record (21-3 overall), the Berea College women’s basketball team won the USA South West Division to earn a first-round bye and home-court advantage in the conference tournament that began on Wednesday, February 14. The USA South Tournament consists of the top six teams from each division in the conference. Berea will host a quarterfinal game against fifth seed Covenant College (8-6, conference; 14-11, overall) at 2 p.m. Saturday in the Seabury Center on the Berea campus.
Covenant defeated Huntingdon 63-53 in the first round. The winner of Saturday’s game will advance to the semifinals the following Saturday. The championship game will take place on Sunday, February 25. The highest remaining seed after the quarterfinal round will host the semifinal and championship games. If the highest-remaining divisional seeds are the same seed (example: two No. 1 seeds), the next tie-breaking criteria is regular season conference winning percentage. If there is still a tie, the tournament semifinals and final will head to the West due to a predetermined rotation. If Covenant College advances to the semifinals, the games will be played on Friday and Saturday, February 23 and 24.
Tickets are available for purchase on-site at all venues for all games. Adult general admission is $8, while admission for institutional faculty/staff/students, senior citizens (65 years and older) and children is $3. Admission is free for children under the age of six. For up-to-date information, please visit the USA South West Tournament Website.
2018 USA South Women’s Basketball Tournament Schedule (all times EST unless noted)
First Round–Wednesday, February 14 (games played at higher-seeded team)
- Game 1: #5 West-Covenant def. #4 West-Huntingdon, 63-53
- Game 2: #6 East-Meredith lost to #3 East-Averett, 76-64
- Game 3: #5 East-Salem lost to #4 East-N.C. Wesleyan, 66-63
- Game 4: #6 West-LaGrange lost to #3 West-Maryville, 87-59
Quarterfinals–Saturday, February 17 (games played at higher-seeded team)
- Game 5: Covenant vs. #1 West-Berea–2:00pm
- Game 6: Averett vs. #2 East-Ferrum–2:00pm
- Game 7: Wesleyan vs. #1 East-Greensboro–2:00pm
- Game 8: Maryville vs. #2 West-Piedmont–2:00pm
Semifinals–Saturday, February 24 (played at highest remaining divisional seed after quarterfinals)^
- Game 5 Winner vs. Game 6 Winner–Time TBA
- Game 7 Winner vs. Game 8 Winner–Time TBA
- Final–Sunday, February 25 (played at highest remaining divisional seed after quarterfinals)^
- Semifinals Winners–Time TBA
All times subject to change. Continue following www.usasouth.net for all updates.
^Games played on Friday & Saturday, February 23 & 24 if Covenant advances to semifinals.