Assistant Professor of Music
At Berea College since 2016
Presser Hall, 221
Spring 2021 Session A
Mon: 10 – 11 a.m.
Tue: 2:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Thur: 10 – 11 a.m.
Fri: 2 – 3:00 p.m
MUS 328 A (Mon/Tue/Thur/Fri: 8:00 am – 8:50 am)
MUS 130B (Mon/Thur: 4:00 pm – 5:10 pm)
MUS 132 A (Wed: 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm)
MUS 132 B (Mon/Wed: 5:30 pm – 6:50 pm)
MUA 105-400 (by weekly appointment)
EDS 330 (Fri: 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm)
EDS 481/482 (4:00 pm – 6:00 pm)
- B.M.E. in Music Education, Kansas State University, 1998
- M.M.E. in Music Education, Wichita State University, 2001
- D.M.A. in Wind Conducting, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2012
- MUS 130B: Jazz Ensemble
- MUS 132: Wind Ensemble
- MUS 328: Teaching of Brass and Percussion
- MUS 329: Teaching of Woodwinds
- MUS 336: Fundamentals of Teaching Instrumental Music
- MUS 337: Conducting
- EDS 330: Extended School Experience
- EDS 481: Student Teaching Seminar
- EDS 482: Student Teaching P – 5
- MUA 105-400: Applied Brass Lessons
- Kentucky Music Educators Association (KMEA)
- National Association of Music Educators (NAFME)
- College Band Directors National Association (CBDNA)
- World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles (WASBE)
- College Music Society
- Kappa Kappa Psi Band Fraternity
- Tau Beta Sigma Band Sorority
Dr. James A. Dreiling has the pleasure of serving as Assistant Professor of Music at Berea College in Berea, Kentucky. His responsibilities include directing the Berea Wind Ensemble and Jazz Ensemble, teaching applied brass lessons, instrumental music education courses, and supervising instrumental music student teachers. Before he arrived at Berea, Dr. Dreiling served as Interim Assistant Director of Bands at Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas.
As a public-school teacher, Dr. Dreiling served for nine years as Director of Instrumental Music and Fine Arts Department Chair at Wichita South High School, USD 259. Under his direction, the Wichita South High School band and orchestra program more than doubled in size and consistently received superior ratings at state music festivals. Dr. Dreiling oversaw the marching band, pep band, jazz band, two concert bands, and two orchestras. He also served as the cooperating teacher for eight Wichita State University student teachers. Prior to his Wichita position, Dr. Dreiling taught at Southwestern College (Winfield, Kansas) were he served as the Interim Director of the Bands, taught applied trumpet and euphonium lessons, and several general music education courses.
Dr. Dreiling received a Bachelor of Music Education degree from Kansas State University and a Master of Music Education degree from Wichita State University. He is also a graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, where he completed his Doctor of Music Arts degree in wind conducting and served as a graduate teaching assistant working in all aspects of the band program at UNL.
Dr. Dreiling has had numerous guest conducting and adjudicating opportunities throughout Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Kentucky. He is a member of the Kentucky Music Educators Association, College Band Directors National Association, College Music Society, World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles, Phi Beta Mu International Bandmasters Fraternity, and an honorary member of Kappa Kappa Psi National Band Fraternity and Tau Beta Sigma National Band Sorority.