In the following essays collected by the Mathematical Association of America (MAA), authors describe their backgrounds and how these backgrounds prepared them for a wide variety of careers.
- Janet P. DenBleyker, Consultant, Buck Consultants
- Valeria Lopez, Actuarial Analyst, Towers Perrin
- Joan Peters Ogden, Consulting Actuary, Joan Ogden Actuaries
Biostatistical and Medical Careers
- Michael H. Kutner, Chairman, Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Mike Lieber, Biostatistician, Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Ellen Lentz, Biostatistician, Hoffmann La Roche Laboratories Inc.
- Arthur P. Staddon, Clinical Associate Professor, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine
- Yves Chiricota, Professor, Univertsité du Québec à Chicoutimi
- Arnitra Duckett, Educational Markets Manager, Texas Instruments
- Richard D. Jarvinen , Professor of Mathematics and Consultant Department of Mathematics and Statistics Winona State University
- Clare Johnson, Professor of Mathematics, Fashion Institute of Technology
- Greg King, Teacher, Cincinnati Public Schools
- Michael G. Monticino, Associate Professor, University of North Texas
- Peter Rosenthal, Professor of Mathematics
- Jack Cassidy, Engineer Scientist, Firmware
- David Farmer, Civil Engineer, Costal Engineering Consultants, Inc.
- Fred L. Preston, Systems Engineer, AT&T Bell Laboratories
- Robert L. Stewart, NASA Astronaut / Director of Advanced Programs, Nichols Research Corp.
- Mark Terry, Systems Engineer, Trident Systems, Inc.
- Allison DeLong, Marine Associate, University of Rhode Island
- Holly Gaff, Graduate Research Associate, University of Tennessee
- Kay Strain King, Senior Environmental Mathematician, Theta Engineering
- Jerry W. Highfill, Mathematical Statistician, United States Environmental Protection Laboratory
- Sue E. Waldman, Mathematician, Columbia Plateau Conservation Research Center US Department of Agriculture
Economic and Financial Careers
- Cherryl Beeman, Electronic Commerce Specialist, The Kodiak Group
- William D. Hammers, Chief Financial Officer, Optimal Solutions
- Lisa M. Sullivan, Senior Budget Analyst, Department of the Navy
- Michael D. Weiss , Agricultural Economist, US Department of Agriculture
- Jonathan G. Blattmachr, Partner, Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy
- Mitchell Stabbe, Partner, Dow, Lohnes & Albertson, PLLC
Operations Research and Systems Science Careers
- Jeffrey Zane Anderson, Industrial Engineer, Commonwealth Aluminum Corp.
- Rol Fessenden, Directory of Inventory Control, L.L. Bean
- Mark A. Reynolds, Operations Research Manager, USAir, Inc.
- William C. Schwartz, President & Chairman, Schwartz Electro-Optics, Inc.
- Sarah Adams Yeary, Staff Systems Analyst, Lockheed Martin
Research and Development Careers
- John Hamilton, Research Associate, Eastman Kodak Company
- David S. Ross, Research Associate, Eastman Kodak Company
- Marla Prenger, Associate Scientist, Proctor and Gamble
- Julie S. Tarwater, Quality Control Manager, Biles & Associates