The standard issue laptop for the 2018-2019 school year is the Dell Latitude E5490. All faculty and staff who start employment at Berea College will receive a laptop model from our supported inventory.
- Faculty and staff computer configurations
- Guidelines about our equipment repairs and refresh process
Current Faculty and Staff Computer Models
- Latitude E5490 – current
- Latitude E5480 – eligible upgrade starting July 2022
- Latitude E5470 – eligible upgrade starting July 2021
- Latitude E6440 – eligible upgrade starting July 2020
- Latitude E5450 – eligible upgrade starting July 2019
- Latitude E5440 – eligible upgrade starting July 2018
- Latitude E5430 – eligible upgrade starting July 2017
- Latitude E5420 – eligible upgrade starting July 2016
- Latitude E5410 – eligible upgrade starting July 2015
If you have an older model Dell computer not listed above and more than four years old, IS&S will be contacting you to arrange an upgrade. If you have MacBook Pro model earlier than 2012 and you have had it for four years or more, IS&S will be contacting you to arrange an upgrade. Note that switching from a Dell laptop to a MacBook Pro requires AC approval, and new employees wanting to use a MacBook Pro require AC approval.
Desktop users: In most situations, a laptop with docking station and wide screen monitor offers greater flexibility than a typical desktop environment while still fulfilling the processing needs of the user. However, there are situations in which a desktop is still the best option. We maintain and will upgrade desktop computers only as needed. If you believe your desktop computer is no longer able to meet your needs, please email us and we will assess the need for a new desktop, switch to a laptop environment, or service the computer if it is still suited to the assignment.
To request an upgrade or if you have any questions concerning the eligibility of a newer computer, please email us at email@example.com.