Site surveys will be conducted in late June/early July to begin Phase I of our wireless rollout on campus. Our initial focus is on public gathering places where group work and learning can take place on an informal basis using laptops and portable wireless devices. Phase I will include the Library, Crossroads Complex, and Cafeteria as well as an outdoor wireless mesh activated for the Quad. Continue reading Wireless Rollout Update →
I am proud to announce the release of our new myBerea portal system which will be available to all students the week of February 18. MyBerea is our “Virtual Learning Community” and designed to support student learning, academic progression, and personalized assessment of student progress toward meeting academic, labor, and convocation requirements. MyBerea is also about being a member of a learning community with unique support systems and learning opportunities to faciliate a successful journey and learning experience for our students. With that in mind, myBerea was designed to complement our unique learning environment at Berea. Continue reading myBerea Beta Release →
This year, our summer project planning has been influenced by three independent studies of our Network Services function. These studies focused on “best practices” related to setting up our network/server infrastructure, VOIP readiness, and Exchange Server configuration. A larger than normal carryover of technology capital funds will be used to resource initiatives 1 and 2 over the summer. Continue reading IS&S Projects for Summer 2007 →
ShortTerm Goals (Target Date: Feb. 1, 2006)
- Home Page Portal Links:Make Future Students link and other audience portal links standout more on the home page (e.g., change font size,use mouseover techniques). (NRCCUA, Berea College’s ReportCard, section 1c)
- Home Page Photos: Gather Brainstorm photos andtaglines to create photos for the rotating middle section andmake them in-line withthe current Admissions materials.
- Home Page Admissions Section:Jay recommends removing the Distinctly Berean section and replacingit with an Admissionssection that containsinfo and links (such as the Apply Now link).
- Future Students Sections:Make the navbars contain links to all other major sections. (NRCCUA,Berea College’s ReportCard, section 2c)
- Printer-Friendly Pages (Future Students/Admissionssite only): Requires the redesign of the College Web site usingCSS-onlypages, which in turn can provide a printer-friendly version ofa Web page.This initiative will serve as the prototype for sitewide rollout.(NRCCUA, Berea College’s Report Card, section 2f)
- ApplyNow Link: Place an apply now link on both the main Future Studentsportal page as well as the College home page. This linkwill point to a page that contains a table for both domesticand international students, where the domestic contains a linkdirectlyto the application while the international points to the separateapplication form. Additional information will be provided onthe page for each audience. (NRCCUA, Berea College’s ReportCard, section 3a)
- Organizational Structure of Future Studentsand Admissions sites: Combine the domestic and internationalsections as wellas the Officeof Admissions site with the Future Students portal. If available,integrate the design elements from Brainstorm (photos and colors).
- PlaceKey Info on Future Students Main Page: Include a link to CampusTours, housing info, community info, visiting campusinfo,admissions criteria, and a box of important dates/deadlines.(NRCCUA, Berea College’s Report Card, section 4)
- UpdateAdmissions Staff Info: Requires photos to be taken by PublicRelations for their contact pages. (NRCCUA, Berea College’sReport Card, section 5b-c)
- Incoming Students and Guidance CounselorsDiscussion Board: Available with our community server. Requiresa list of topicsfor the board.
- Contact Web Form: Use Web form as a contact linkthat carbon copies messages to both faculty and admissions.
- Academic Prototype: Select an academic area and develop4 or 5 additional “collaborative” tasks designedto enhance their web presence to attract prospective students.Take what welearned from this effort to assist other academic areas in betterutilizing web features to attract new students. Continue reading Phase III Plan for Web Site Upgrades →