Need help with exploring careers or choosing a major? We can help!
Schedule a career counseling appointment through Handshake with a professional staff member at Career Development. Our office can help you:
- Heighten self-awareness through career assessments
(including TruTalent©, Career Construction Interview, Career Values Inventory, Interests Inventories & Mind Mapping Activities, and Motivated Skills Card Sort)
- Explore career options that fit with your personality/interests/skills/values
Students – Login to handshake via berea.joinhandshake.com using your Berea email and password. Click on the “Career Center – Resources” located on the menu at the top of your handshake profile page.
What can I do with this major? gives a detailed overview on areas within each major, potential employers for each major, and strategies to take to be successful. Also includes links to job listings, professional associations and career profiles.
- Go to “What can I do with this major?”
- Click on any major that you are interested in (PDF and HTML versions available)
- Click on the LINKS for any major you are interested in (provides a list of website resources for each major)
Looking for more information about career options? OOH provides a thorough profile of a wide variety of career fields.
- Visit the Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Use the key word search engine at the top right side of the OOH home page
- Search by career field and learn about position descriptions, salary ranges, and employment outlook
- Identify your strengths and the skills you offer potential employers
- Discover career paths and possibilities within all academic majors
- Gain specific knowledge regarding employment trends, supply and demand, destinations of past graduates, and realistic salary ranges for your targeted career
- Make connections with the wide range of employers and alumni that want to hire you
Starting your search for career possibilities within your targeted major? Here are some quick tips to get you started:
As you research career options, be sure to gather details about the following –
- The basic requirements of the work
(education, experience, and skill level)
- The typical characteristics of the work
(salary range, details about the work environment and working conditions, work prospects and employment outlook, work culture, and the form or structure of the work)
- Where the work is done
(geographic area, type of organization)
- The career path options
(list of related occupations that you may want to consider, short-term and long-term)
To be effective in your research, you should consult with many different sources. Go to our Helpful Career Resources Links to utilize valid and reliable resources.
Career Development Facilitated Courses
GST 110A Enhancing Your Career Readiness – Juniors & Seniors only
Do you prefer exploring careers in a class setting? “Enhancing your career readiness” is for you! This course is designed to increase students’ self-awareness, articulation of skills and career readiness in all aspects of job search. We will focus on your career development goals, identifying potential employers, actively tailoring your job search documents and enhancing your interviewing skills. The coursework will include work during 1-1 appointments, assignments outside of our meetings and activities in dining etiquette, dress for success and interviewing to build your confidence and get you ready for “bridging out” from Berea.
GST 386G Graduate School Preparation – Juniors & Seniors only
This class is designed to prepare juniors and seniors for the graduate and professional school application process. This 8-week course will help students develop an ability to articulate their goals and reasons for attending graduate school. They will be able to utilize this heightened self-awareness and career direction when deciding on graduate school programs, when developing their career documents (curriculum vitae, personal statements, etc.), when practicing for interviews, and will develop a deeper understanding of the graduate school application process so they know what awaits them while applying.