Kavita (Kavi) Malstead ’19 and Eunice Jijon Jarquin ’19

Kavi Malstead teaching a class during her internship at FoodChain

Kavita (Kavi) Malstead ’19

Kavita (Kavi) Malstead ’19 (studying English) and Eunice Jijon Jarquin ’19 (Agriculture and Natural Resources, Asian Studies) served as interns this summer with FoodChain, a Lexington area non-profit committed to forging links between the local community and fresh food. Kavi writes, “I began my internship with FoodChain hoping to learn more about the ways in which food can be a medium for building and strengthening community relationships. FoodChain taught me how to begin planting the seeds of community prosperity through education and the sharing of resources. The most wonderful moments of my time with FoodChain was when the neighborhood gathered to share a monthly community meal held in FoodChain’s kitchen. It was during these meals that I most felt the impact of the work I was involved with. People of all backgrounds gathering to share in conversation, plates piled high with servings of organic summer vegetables and chicken slathered in herb sauce–bridging gaps between under-served communities and access to fresh foods.”

View original post on the Berea College Facebook page

Berea College Internships and Career Development on Facebook