Assistant Professor of General Studies and History;
Board of Directors, Cistercian Publications (2016- );
Faculty Advisor, Student Government Association;
Director, KIIS Denmark Program 2018
At Berea College since 2011
Frost Building, 102
Mon-Wed: 11:00 am- 12:00 pm
Other times by appointment
GSTR 210 E (Mon/Wed: 4:00 pm – 5:50 pm)
GSTR 310 J (Tue/Thur: 1:00 pm – 2:50 pm)
- Ph.D. Roskilde Universitet, Denmark – Medieval History, 2009
- M.A. Saint John’s University, MN – Theology | Monastic Studies, 2001
- M.A. Western Michigan University – Medieval Studies, 1999
- M.A.R. Emmanuel School of Religion, TN – History of Christianity, 1995
GSTR 210-Writing Seminar II: Identity & Diversity in the U.S.
GSTR 310: Understandings of Christianity
GSTR 410: Seminar in Contemporary Global Issues
HIS 101: Western Civilization I
HIS 235: Viking Age & Medieval Scandinavia (BIST)
HIS 286: The Vikings
HIS/REL 286: Viking Age Norse Religion
HIS/REL 286: History of Christianity in 2/3 World: Asia, Africa, Latin America
THR 223: Lights, Camera, Africa!
Research and Teaching Interests:
- Ancient and medieval intellectual history and religion (Judaism, Christianity, Islam)
- Ancient and medieval asceticism, monasticism, and hagiography
- Ancient and medieval history of LGBTQ
- Twelfth-century Cistercian history and thought, especially William of St. Thierry (d. 1148)
- Viking Age and late medieval Scandinavian history, culture, and religion
- Ancient to late medieval Christianity in Asia, Africa, and Latin America
- Classical and Medieval Latin
- Colonial, post-colonial, and independence African history
- Medieval history and narratives in contemporary pop culture
- Oral culture and storytelling in Appalachian history and tradition
- Appalachian history of distillation, especially “moonshine”
- Service-Learning through history courses
Forthcoming and Recent Publications:
Editor. A Companion to William of Saint-Thierry. Leiden: Brill Academic Publishers. Forthcoming.
Co-author and co-translator with Nathaniel Peters. William of Saint-Thierry, On the Sacrament of the Altar. Cistercian Fathers Series. Collegeville, MN: Cistercian Publications. Forthcoming.
Author. “William of Saint-Thierry: His Sources and Influences”, in A Companion to William of Saint-Thierry. Leiden: Brill Academic Publishers. Forthcoming.
Co-author with Marsha L. Dutton. Oxford Bibliographies Online, s.v. “The Cistercian Order”. New York: Oxford University Press, 2018, www.oxfordbibliographies.com.
Co-author with Dee Hill-Zuganelli. “Strengthening the Sanctuary: Institutional Policies to Support DACA Students”. In Law Enforcement in the Age of Black Lives Matter: Policing Black and Brown Bodies, 97-116. Edited by Sandra E. Weissinger and Dwayne A. Mack. New York: Rowman & Littlefield, 2018.
Co-editor. Unity of Spirit: Studies on William of Saint-Thierry in Honor of E. Rozanne Elder. Edited by F. Tyler Sergent, Aage Rydstrøm-Poulsen, and Marsha L. Dutton. Cistercian Studies 268. Collegeville, MN: Cistercian Publications, 2015.
Author. “Unitas Spiritus and the Originality of William of Saint-Thierry.” Unity of Spirit: Studies on William of Saint-Thierry in Honor of E. Rozanne Elder. Cistercian Studies 268. Collegeville, MN: Cistercian Publications, 2015. 144-170.