The Committee on General Education (COGE) is the steering committee for the General Education curriculum and is guided by the Aims of General Education. It has responsibility for oversight of the curriculum, including:
- consideration of issues that affect the substance of the General Education curriculum, including reviewing and making recommendations on any matters that affect GSTR course guidelines or the General Education curriculum as a whole.
- administration of existing policy within the General Education curriculum. These matters include (but are not limited to) the development, review and approval of new sections of General Education core courses, Perspectives, and other components of the General Education curriculum; and consideration of requests for exceptions within the program.
- systematic and on-going assessment of individual GSTR courses, and of the General Education curriculum as a whole.
- planning for faculty development in regard to the General Education curriculum.
- initiation of proposals for programmatic and/or curricular changes to the General Education curriculum, which are forwarded to and acted upon by the Academic Program Council.
COGE consists of eight members—the Associate Vice President and Dean of Curriculum and Student Success; the Coordinators of the five General Studies core courses; the Coordinator of Perspectives, PR, and ALE; and a student. The Associate Vice President and Dean of Curriculum and Student Success serves as a voting member of the Academic Program Council (APC), and functions as a liaison between COGE and APC. Coordinators are appointed by the Associate Vice President and Dean of Curriculum and Student Success. Terms will generally be three years, but may range from two to five years. All members have voice and vote.
Members of the Committee on General Education, Fall 2018
- Amanda Peach, Coordinator of Perspectives, the Practical Reasoning Requirement (PR), and the Active Learning Experience Requirement (ALEs)
- Stephanie Woodie, Wellness Coordinator; Chair of the Committee On General Education
- Nancy Sowers, Interim Coordinator of GSTR 110
- Jill Bouma, Coordinator of GSTR 210
- Jose’ Pimienta-Bey, Coordinator of GSTR 310
- Megan Hoffman, Coordinator of GSTR 332
- Dan Huck, Coordinator of GSTR 410
- One student representative, selected by the Student Government Association
- Scott Steele, Associate Vice President & Dean of Curriculum and Student Success
- Sam Cole, Senior Administrative Assistant; Staff Support to COGE