Associate Professor of Education
At Berea College since 2007
Knapp Hall, 103 B
Mon: 9 a.m – 11 a.m. & 3 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Wed: 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.
Fri: 9 a.m. – 11 a.m. & 3 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- EDS 215 A (Tue/Thu: 1 p.m. – 2:50 p.m.)
- EDS 338 A (Mon/Wed: 12:40 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.)
- EDS 484 A (N/A)
- Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction , University of Louisville, 2007
- M.Ed. in Mathematics Education , University of Louisville, 1999
- B.A. in Physics and Mathematics , Berea College, 1987
Honors and Awards
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Certification, Adolescent/Young Adult Science. 1999 – 2009.
- Kentucky Provisional Teaching Certificate. Physical Science Grades 7-12.
- American Education Research Association
- National Association of Research in Science Teaching
- Association for Science Teacher Education
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- National Science Teachers Association
Papers and Publications
- Saderholm, J.C., Ronau, R.N., Mohr-Schroeder, M.J., & Bush, S.B. (published online, Aug. 2018). How to support effective professional development in your district. American School Board Journal.
- Bush, S. B., Cook, K. L., Ronau, R. N., Rakes, C. R., Mohr-Schroeder, M. J., & Saderholm, J. (2017). A highly structured collaborative STEAM program: Enacting a professional development framework. Journal of Research in STEM Education. 2(2), 106-125.
- Rakes, C., Bush, S., Mohr-Schroeder, M., Ronau, R., & Saderholm, J. (2017). Making teacher PD effective using the PrimeD framework. New England Journal of Mathematics. 50(1), 52-62.
- Saderholm, J., Ronau, R. N., Rakes, C. R., Bush, S. B., & Mohr-Schroeder, M. (2016). The critical role of a well-articulated conceptual framework to guide professional development: An evaluation of a state-wide two-week program for mathematics and science teachers. Professional Development in Education. doi: 10.1080/19415257.2016.1251485
- Ronau, R. N., Rakes, C. R., Bush, S. B., Saderholm, J., & Schroeder, M. (2014). FCR-STEMLearn institute evaluation report. [Technical Report]. Tallahassee, FL: Florida State University.
- Saderholm, J., & Hodge, T. (published online, August 2014). The black box revisited. Journal of College Science Teaching.
- Tretter, T. R., Brown, S. L., Bush, W. S., Saderholm, J. C., & Holmes, V. L. (2013). Valid and reliable science content assessments for science teachers. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 24(2), 269-295. doi: 10.1007/s10972-012-9299-7
- Hodge, T., & Saderholm, J. (2012). A new approach to active learning in the planetarium. In J. Jensen, J. Manning, M. Gibbs, & D. Daou (Eds.) Connecting People to Science (269-274). San Francisco: Astronomical Society of the Pacific.
- Starnes, B., Saderholm, J., & Webb, A. (2010). A community of teachers. Phi Delta Kappan 92(2), 14-18.
- Saderholm, J., Ronau, R. N., Brown, E. T., & Collins G. (2010). Validation of the Diagnostic Teacher Assessment of Mathematics and Science (DTAMS) instrument. School Science and Mathematics Journal 110(4), 180-192.
- Saderholm, J. (2008). NBCT science inquiry environments. Proceedings of National Association for Research in Science Teaching (NARST) Annual Meeting.
- Saderholm, J., & Tretter, T. R. (2008). Identification of the most critical content knowledge base for middle school science teachers. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 19(3), 269-283.
- Classroom environments supportive of student science inquiry
- The impact of advanced certification on teacher efficacy and personal agency
- The impact of teacher advanced certification on school culture and climate