Students Registered with DAS
Berea College students who are registered with Disability & Accessibility Services (DAS) may be eligible for testing accommodations if the functional impact of the student’s disability adversely affects his/her ability to take exams or quizzes under the same conditions as their classmates. The guiding principle of testing accommodations is to remove or reduce barriers to the test-taking process and thus enable students with disabilities to be assessed on an equal basis with their non-disabled peers. Testing accommodations provide an opportunity for students with disabilities to demonstrate the mastery of skills and attainment of knowledge without being limited or restricted by their disability. Testing accommodations may involve the modification of timing, the setting, the method of presentation, and/or the method of response. It essentially allows students to demonstrate their knowledge of the course content in an alternative way without undue interference from their disability.
Students Not Registered with DAS
Students who believe that, based on their disability, they need testing accommodations in one or more of their classes, should arrange to meet with Lisa Ladanyi, the Director of DAS, by calling 859-985-3237 or emailing email@example.com to make an appointment as soon as possible to engage in an interactive process to determine their individualized accommodations. Please note, this process can take several days and is best started at the beginning of each term. Please see the Getting Started page for more information.
There are several options to provide testing accommodations to students who are registered with DAS and have been approved for this accommodation.
- Faculty/Teaching Assistant Proctoring– Faculty members are encouraged to provide testing accommodations themselves whenever possible. Many faculty members arrange to proctor exams during office hours or have their teaching assistant(s) proctor exams.
- Disability & Accessibility Services (DAS) Testing Room– Students may choose to take their exams in the DAS Testing Room (101 Lincoln Hall). The DAS Testing Room is monitored by the Office of Academic Services (OAS) labor students using cameras. Students should discuss this option with their instructor and the student should schedule the exam by calling the Office of Academic Services at 859-985-3237 or emailing Channing Francis, the DAS Associate, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Information about the DAS Testing Room
- The DAS Testing Room is available Monday through Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Using the DAS Testing Room outside of these hours will need to be discussed on a case-by-case basis. Students should contact Channing Francis with the specific time of their exam to see if alternative arrangements can be made.
- Exams proctored by DAS staff in the DAS Testing Room must be scheduled three business days in advance. For example, exams on Wednesdays must be scheduled by the preceding Friday.
- Space in the DAS Testing Room is limited. Students should schedule exams as soon as possible. If test dates are listed on the syllabus, students are encouraged to schedule all of their exams with DAS at the beginning of the term.