All courses that are designated as “Special Topics,” courses (X86 courses in any program) must complete the Special Topics form and return it to the appropriate Department Chair(s), who submit completed forms to Division Chairs, who, in turn, submit forms to Judy Ginter in the Office of the Registrar.
To support the transition of long-standing Special Topics courses into Catalog courses, APC has developed the Abbreviated Long Form (“medium form”). If the course is for Fall 2022, submit a completed proposal as soon as possible.
To ensure full consideration of proposals (for changes to be included for the 2023-24 academic year), please have documentation and forms ready for submission to APC by November 15, 2022. Proposals received after this data are considered as time allows.
The SHORT FORM and guidelines are provided to assist Berea College faculty in the development of proposals for SLIGHT MODIFICATION to existing curriculum such as:
- Updates and/or slight modifications to course descriptions
- Changes in prerequisites
- Update of a course title
- Updates of the department’s catalog description that does not make changes in degree requirements or admission to the major requirements
- Deletions of existing courses that are (a) not required and/or (b) not a collateral course for the degree in other departments
- Dropping a cross-listed course if the action has been approved by all departments/divisions involved
- Adding and/or deleting no more than one or two courses to an approved major/minor distribution list if the changes do not allow students to take the majority of their major/minor courses at the 100 and 200 level AND if the action has been approved by all departments/divisions involved.
- Other curriculum issues that involve only slight modifications
The LONG FORM and guidelines are provided to assist Berea College faculty in the development of proposals for SUBSTANTIVE curriculum changes/revisions such as:
- Addition(s) of new courses or substantive changes to an existing course(s)
- Deletions of existing courses that are required and/or are collateral courses
- Changes in requirements for majors, minors, and/or general education
- Changes in admission to the major requirements
- Significant changes to an approved major/minor distribution list
- New major or minor
- Other substantive curriculum issues
Faculty and Departments proposing curricular changes may also find the “What Might Raise Questions in APC’s Review of a Curriculum Proposal,” document helpful, as well.
Any students looking to propose an Independent Study (390/490 A or B) course, a Directed Study (398/498), or a Team Initiated Study (397/497 A or B) must complete the form found here and follow the instructions for approval included on the form.
For other helpful advising & course forms, please see the Office of the Registrar’s form page.