This is the update for Thursday, May 14, 2020.
The Kentucky situation is continuing to reflect gradual improvements in the number of cases and deaths. Governor Beshear announced the first extra availability of drive-through tests for Madison County for next week. You do have to sign up for a test. More on this later.
Senior Celebration is coming up this Sunday!
We are looking forward to honoring the Class of 2020 at 2 p.m., this Sunday, May 17, with a virtual senior celebration.
With student input and through the collaborative efforts of several departments, this event was put together to make our graduates feel celebrated, at least until we can do that in person.
Nearly 70 faculty members submitted short (and unique) congratulations videos for the Professor Well-wishes portion of the program. The Salute to the Class of 2020 video features photos submitted by our community and a list of graduates along with their honors and degrees. Portions of the event will be live-streamed from Phelps Stokes Chapel. Attendees can also download a printable program and other Berea-branded graphics to commemorate this special event.
Please take a moment to share and click “Going” on the Berea College Facebook event to help us get the word out.
Well-Wishes from Professors
Dr. Lyle D. Roelofs
President, Berea College
Mrs. Laurie Roelofs
First Lady, Berea College
Student Chaplain, Willis D. Weatherford, Jr. Campus Christian Center
Member, Senior Class
Special Message to Graduates
Dr. Eboo Patel
Founder, Interfaith Youth Core
President’s Message to the Class
Dr. Lyle D. Roelofs
A Salute to the Class of 2020
Rev. Loretta Reynolds
Dean of the Chapel
Willis D. Weatherford, Jr. Campus Christian Center
Personal Protective Equipment and Supplies
As we move toward increasing activity on campus following the Healthy at Work guidelines, there will be growing need for PPE and related supplies.
Facilities Management will be serving as the central purchasing and distribution point for PPE across campus. Please keep in mind that while some PPE is currently in stock, we are limited in some cases as we await large quantity orders to arrive. FM will fill orders as soon as possible but know that there could be delays in some cases and priority will be given for those living on campus or deemed essential and working on campus now. The Facilities webpage has a form where you can place an order for PPE.
However, in order for this process to work appropriately for everyone, there are some rules that we as a community need to follow:
- For Staff and Faculty, Department Heads and/or Building Coordinators will need to coordinate and take the responsibility to collaborate, make a bulk request and handle distribution within your respective department or building. This will prevent every campus member from having to come to the FM Storeroom for individual pickup, which is not practical for the FM Storeroom team to be able to accommodate.
- Students in Residence Halls or the Ecovillage will not be able to order individually, but need to work directly with Residence Life, making their request to their Area Coordinator, who will place a bulk order with FM and distribute.
- Please do not over order, as we need to be cautious to assure we can continue to distribute supplies over the long term. Over-ordering and hoarding will lead to undue shortages, so please order only what is necessary.
- FM will soon begin to place bulk sanitizer stands in buildings as they arrive from the supplier and will work with Building Managers and Area Coordinators to determine the best locations. As the bulk jugs of sanitizer secured in these stands need refilled, a refill order can be placed on the website and FM team members will come and refill the jugs.
- Arrangements have been made between Facilities and Finance on how to manage the expense of PPE, so there will be no interdepartmental charges applied or budget impact to departments ordering PPE.
- If you request a plexiglass partition somewhere in your building, recognize FM will first take the request and consult with Risk Management and then seek approval from your Divisional VP before proceeding, as these partitions all must be specifically tooled or modified in each circumstance for installation and are only required in retail operations at this point. FM will follow back up directly with requesters on the disposition of the request.
As an aside, we are in dire need of empty bottles with spray nozzles that can be used both now and this Fall in particular for virex sanitizer refills to allow for spraying and wiping of surfaces. FM does have a large quantity of these on order, but the supply chain is forecasting a very lengthy delay before receipt. A significant unsecured quantity across campus in early March have disappeared, so if anyone stored some of these for safekeeping before campus emptied in mid-March or if you have similar ones you can share with campus, please notify FM and they will pick them to get into much-needed use.
Special thanks go to Christina Hoddinott, Stephanie Turner and Luke Hayes of the FM team for doing all the heavy lifting on getting the website ready to accommodate PPE requests and doing the ordering, inventory tracking and distribution that is to come.
Remember to be Healthy at Home and Healthy at Work!
Lyle Roelofs, President