Daily COVID-19 Update: May 4, 2020

Dear Bereans,

This is the update for Monday, May 4, 2020.

Madison County update

Madison County is reporting two new cases today, for a total now of 29.

Announcements concerning Commencement 2020

Senior Celebration: A Salute to the Class of 2020

We hope you can join us live on Sunday, May 17 at 2 p.m. for Senior Celebration: A Salute to the Class of 2020! Join us on YouTube Live here.  (Please note that May and August graduates of the Class of 2020 will also be invited to attend an in-person ceremony of their choice at a later date; the Salute to the class is not intended to serve as a replacement for their graduation ceremony.)

Woods Awards winners

Part of our commencement celebration would have been to announce the Woods award winners, and I do not want to keep that secret for two more weeks.  It is, therefore, my pleasure now to congratulate Kamila Nurmakova and Elijah Nicholson-Messmer, Kamila as the Hilda Welch Wood Achievement Award for Women recipient, and Elijah as the T. J. Wood Achievement Award for Men recipient.  Both will receive certificates celebrating this honor and a cash prize.

Kamila has this to say about her Berea experience

Berea College is a transformative place that allowed me to grow personally, professionally, and academically. A variety of classes in my major, Chemistry, gave me the essential knowledge needed for my future career as a research scientist. Moreover, my college experience brought a lot of invaluable opportunities outside of traditional coursework. With the support of the Berea College internship and career development office, I was able to participate in two research internships at Vanderbilt University, which resulted in a scientific publication and numerous

presentations at local, state, and national conferences. The strong academic program, research internships, and participation in conferences boosted up my career preparedness. Moreover, Berea College experience helped me with the next steps in my career by assisting with graduate school applications, which resulted in acceptances from prestigious Chemistry Ph.D. programs at Yale, Vanderbilt, and Emory universities.

Elijah has this to say about his Berea experience

My time at Berea has allowed me to explore the world, to push myself in academics and labor to levels I had once thought weren’t reachable for people like me. I have had the immense privilege of being admitted into the Phi Kappa Phi honor society. For the last three years, I have also had the opportunity to work at both Berea’s broadcast and print news organizations. At The Pinnacle, moving from a News Writer to an Associate Editor to, now, the Editor-in-Chief, I have had the great honor of working in a labor position that allowed me to gain invaluable experience in the very work I plan to do after graduating. Through my labor position, I have been afforded the opportunity to provide my fellow students with the news and information they care about, along the way learning everything it takes to work and lead in a newspaper. Ultimately, my time at Berea has allowed me to learn about the world, about people, and about myself. It has provided me with an entirely different means by which I can see the world and my life after leaving here, one full of nuances, complexities, issues, and opportunities.

Please continue to stay safe—all the advice we internalized now eight weeks ago still holds!

Lyle Roelofs, President