Can’t work a term abroad into your curriculum plan? Think summer!
Summer abroad programs offer academic credit and a glimpse of the life and culture of another part of the world.
And, generous financial support is available, especially for those studying abroad for the first time.
Selecting a Program
There are two options for study abroad in the summer: a faculty-led Berea International Summer Term (BIST) course or through the Kentucky Institute for International Studies (KIIS) which also offer especially cost-effective programs.
Berea International Summer Term (BIST):
The following BIST courses will be offered during Summer 2018:
- Dr. Steve Gowler and Dr. Dan Huck, BIST Holocaust: Legacies of the Holocaust: History, Memory, Law, and Justice
- Dr. Adanma Barton and Dr. Qrescent Mason, BIST Jamaica: From Page to Stage: Feminist Literary Adaptation in Jamaica
- Dr. Linda Strong-Leek, Dr. Kathy & Keith Bullock, BIST Ghana: West African Music and Literature
- Dr. Gary Mahoney and Dr. Robert Foster, BIST Honduras: Coral Reef Ecosystems
- Dr. Tyler Sergent and Dr. Wendy Williams, BIST Scandinavia: Viking Age and Medieval Scandinavia
The application deadline for BIST courses is October 21, 2017.
The following KIIS Programs will be taught by Berea College professors:
- Dr. Kevin Gardner, Studio Art, KIIS Barcelona
- Dr. Deborah Martin, Theatre, KIIS Paris 1
- Dr. Anthony Mortara, Health and Human Performance, KIIS Greece
- Dr. Lauren McKee, Political Science, KIIS Japan
- Dr. Jeff Richey, Religion, KIIS Japan
- Dr. Eileen McKiernan-Gonzalez, Art History, KIIS Barcelona Summer 2018
The deadline for KIIS is February 15, 2018, but some have early bird dates as soon as December 1st.
Financial support from Berea College is available for any major to cover a portion of the cost of a summer abroad. The Department of Foreign Languages offers similar financial support for qualified majors and minors. Learn more about financial support for summer abroad experiences.
Other Summer Opportunities
- Critical Language Scholarship
- English-Speaking Union Summer Study Scholarship
- Humanity in Action Summer Fellowship Program
- Caux Scholars Program
Contact the Education Abroad Team at email@example.com or 859-985-3453, or drop by Woods-Penniman 205.