Can’t work a term abroad into your curriculum plan? Think summer!
Summer abroad programs offer academic credit and a glimpse of the life and culture of another part of the world.
And, generous financial support is available, especially for those studying abroad for the first time.
Selecting a Program
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, summer 2021 options are limited to programs through the Kentucky Institute for International Studies (KIIS) and a few other selected programs, listed below.
Berea College is a part of this Kentucky consortium, which enables Berea students to participate in KIIS programs as if they would with BIST programs. All KIIS programs are open to Berea College students; the following KIIS Summer 2021 Programs are even taught by Berea College professors:
- Dr. Eileen McKiernan-Gonzalez, Art History, KIIS Barcelona
- Prof. Nashwa Cahill, Dance, KIIS Egypt
- Dr. Richard Cahill, History, KIIS Egypt
- Dr. Beth Crachiolo, English, KIIS Slavic Europe
The Other Approved Options
The other possible programs for summer study abroad in the summer of 2021 include a selection from CIS Abroad and ISA, with sites in Latin America and Europe: Options through CIS and ISA. The external deadlines for these vary–some are already upon us–so check out the pdf today.
If your deadline comes before March 8, when your internal application is due to us through Abroad Office for Berea approval, please go ahead and apply to your program. If your due date is after our deadline, waiting is better.
Financial support from Berea College is available for any major to cover a portion of the cost of a summer abroad. The Department of Foreign Languages offers similar financial support for qualified majors and minors. Learn more about financial support for summer abroad experiences.
Other Summer Opportunities
- Sloane Shelton Arts and Humanities
- Critical Language Scholarship
- English-Speaking Union Summer Study Scholarship
- Humanity in Action Summer Fellowship Program
- Caux Scholars Program
Berea International Summer Term (BIST):
The following BIST courses have been postponed to Summer 2022 due to COVID:
- BIST Costa Rica: Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Biodiversity with Dr. Sean Clark and Dr. Quinn Baptiste
- BIST Holocaust: Legacies of the Holocaust: History, Memory, Law, and Justice with Dr. Steve Gowler and Dr. Dan Huck
- BIST Honduras: Coral Reef Ecosystems with Dr. Gary Mahoney and Dr. Robert Foster
Start by setting up your profile in Abroad Office today. The application deadline for BIST courses will be early fall of 2021. Stay tuned for details.
Please note that students participating in BIST courses may not have their spouses/partners, children, other relatives, or friends join them for any part or all of their BIST course.
Contact the Education Abroad Team at email@example.com or 859-985-3453, or drop by Woods-Penniman 205.