Can’t work a term abroad into your curriculum plan? Think summer!
Summer abroad programs offer academic credit and a glimpse of the life and culture of another part of the world.
And, generous financial support is available, especially for those studying abroad for the first time.
Selecting a Program
There are two options for study abroad in the summer: a faculty-led Berea International Summer Term (BIST) course or through the Kentucky Institute for International Studies (KIIS) which also offer especially cost-effective programs.
Berea International Summer Term (BIST):
The following BIST courses will be offered during Summer 2020:
- BIST Costa Rica: Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Biodiversity with Dr. Sean Clark and Dr. Quinn Baptiste
- BIST Ghana: West African Music and Literature with Dr. Linda Strong-Leek, Dr. Kathy Bullock & Mr. Keith Bullock
- BIST Holocaust: Legacies of the Holocaust: History, Memory, Law, and Justice with Dr. Steve Gowler and Dr. Dan Huck
- BIST Honduras: Coral Reef Ecosystems with Dr. Gary Mahoney and Dr. Robert Foster
The application deadline for BIST courses is October 21, 2019.
Please note that students participating in BIST courses may not have their spouses/partners, children, other relatives, or friends join them for any part or all of their BIST course.
The following KIIS Summer 2020 Programs will be taught by Berea College professors:
- Dr. Eileen McKiernan-Gonzalez, Art History, KIIS Barcelona
- Prof. Nashwa Cahill, Dance, KIIS Israel-Egypt
- Dr. Richard Cahill, History, KIIS Israel-Egypt
- Dr. Janice Pearce, Computer Science (Technology, Innovation and Ethics), KIIS Argentina
- Prof. Nathan Patton, Japanese Language and Asian Studies, KIIS Japan
- Dr. Nancy Sowers, Economics, KIIS Japan
The deadline for KIIS is December 1, 2019. (Please apply both to KIIS and to the CIE by this date.)
Financial support from Berea College is available for any major to cover a portion of the cost of a summer abroad. The Department of Foreign Languages offers similar financial support for qualified majors and minors. Learn more about financial support for summer abroad experiences.
Other Summer Opportunities
- Sloane Shelton Arts and Humanities
- Critical Language Scholarship
- English-Speaking Union Summer Study Scholarship
- Humanity in Action Summer Fellowship Program
- Caux Scholars Program
Contact the Education Abroad Team at email@example.com or 859-985-3453, or drop by Woods-Penniman 205.