Can’t work a term abroad into your curriculum plan? Think summer!
Summer abroad programs offer academic credit and a glimpse of the life and culture of another part of the world.
And, generous financial support is available, especially for those studying abroad for the first time.
Selecting a Program
There are two options for study abroad in the summer: a faculty-led Berea International Summer Term (BIST) course or through the Kentucky Institute for International Studies (KIIS) which also offer especially cost-effective programs.
Berea International Summer Term (BIST):
The following BIST courses will be offered during Summer 2019:
- BIST Argentina: Argentine Identity: cultural, historical, sociological and artistic aspects of Argentine Tango with Dr. Jan Pearce & Prof. Nashwa Cahill
- BIST China: Understanding Modern China: Family and Society with Dr. Lauren Mckee & Dr. Jianfen Wang
- BIST Ireland: Exploring Ireland: The Artist as Traveler with Profs. Kevin Gardner & Jason Howard
The application deadline for BIST courses is October 20, 2018.
Please note that students participating in BIST courses may not have their spouses/partners, children, other relatives, or friends join them for any part or all of their BIST course.
The following KIIS Summer 2019 Programs will be taught by Berea College professors:
- Dr. Ian Norris, Business, KIIS Austria
- Dr. Beth Crachiolo, Women & Gender Studies, KIIS Slavic Europe
- Dr. Eileen McKiernan-Gonzalez, Art History, KIIS Cuba
- Prof. Nashwa Cahill, Dance/Culture, KIIS Israel-Egypt
- Dr. Richard Cahill, History, KIIS Israel-Egypt
The deadline for KIIS is December 1, 2018. (Please apply both to KIIS and to the CIE by this date.)
Financial support from Berea College is available for any major to cover a portion of the cost of a summer abroad. The Department of Foreign Languages offers similar financial support for qualified majors and minors. Learn more about financial support for summer abroad experiences.
Other Summer Opportunities
- Critical Language Scholarship
- English-Speaking Union Summer Study Scholarship
- Humanity in Action Summer Fellowship Program
- Caux Scholars Program
Contact the Education Abroad Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 859-985-3453, or drop by Woods-Penniman 205.