Social Security Number

All international students and scholars must obtain a social security number. A representative from the Social Security Administration comes to campus during orientation. Students and scholars will be notified of the time and place.

Recent changes in Department of Homeland Security regulations necessitate a wait of ten days following entry into the U.S. before applying for the Social Security card.

Applicants must bring:

  1. Passport
  2. College ID
  3. I-94,
  4. Stamped I-20 (stamped at port of entry)
  5. Employment authorization letter signed by the International Student and Scholar Advisor and the Dean of Labor (prepared in advance by the Center for International Education)
  6. Completed SS-5 (pdf) application (provided by the CIE) to the meeting with the Social Security representative.

If you miss this opportunity, you must go to the Social Security office in Richmond with the completed SS-5 application (pdf) (this application is also available from the International Student and Scholar Advisor, 205 Woods-Penniman).

The address in Richmond is:

Social Security Administration
1060 Gibson Bay Drive
Richmond, KY 40475
Phone: 859-632-8987 Ext. 212

After receiving your Social Security number, you are required to provide a copy to the Office of Academic Services, 110 Lincoln Hall, and to the International Student and Scholar Advisor for updating your file.