In addition to funding from Berea College, there are external scholarships to help pay for a term abroad. Some funds can be used for programs anywhere in the world, while others are specific to a region or country. Some scholarships are applicable only to a semester abroad, while others may be available for summer. Finally, some providers offer scholarships to participants in their programs. Please check out every possible option right away.
- Fund for Education Abroad Up to $10,000. Deadlines: noon January 20 for Summer, Fall Semester; early September deadline for Spring Semester
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Up to $5,000! Their new deadlines give you two shots at every season:
- Cycle 2: midnight March 2 (Summer 2021, Fall 2021, and Spring 2022)
- Cycle 1: early October (Spring 2022, Summer 2022, Fall 2022)
- Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grant $1,000 grants for students with 3.75 GPA or higher. Deadline is typically in March for next calendar year, but they are currently on hiatus due to COVID-19 so keep checking back for new deadlines.
- National Security Education Program Boren Scholarship Up to $20,000 to U.S. undergraduate students to study abroad in areas of the world that are critical to U.S. interests. Deadline: Apply by February 3 through email@example.com.
- Rainbow Scholarship Deadline: noon January 20 for Summer, Fall Semester; early September deadline for Spring Semester
- List of scholarships for US College and University students (has a good list of government-sponsored scholarships!)
Louisville Scholarship for Summer
- Hershberg Scholarship If you are from Louisville, KY or surrounding counties and are interested in studying abroad for a summer term, you may be eligible to apply for the Hershberg Scholarship of at least $2,000! Deadline: February 2022, for Summer 2022 (Not awarding this summer)
- Bridging Scholarship (Japan) Deadline for Fall: early April
- Freeman-ASIA (East and Southeast Asia) Up to $7,000! Once-a-year deadline is March 30 for programs during the following terms: Summer 2021, Fall 2021, and Spring 2022.
- JASSO Scholarship for Exchange Students (Japan) Your exchange school nominates you.
- BUTEX Scholarship (United Kingdom)
- DAAD Undergraduate Scholarship (Germany)
- Several scholarships (Germany)
- Turkey, the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC), or Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH)
Awesome Abroad Scholarship Search Engines
- Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholarship For humanitarian projects.
- Global Studies Foundation Student Grant (Closed at the moment, but check back next year!)
- BrokerFish Scholarship Deadline December 21st
- Tortuga Study Abroad Scholarship Deadline: (Spring 2020) December 20, 2019/ (Fall 2020) April 20, 2020
Contact the Education Abroad Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 859-985-3453, or drop by Woods-Penniman 205.