Center for International Education

Eligibility & Requirements

Academic Standing

Students must complete at least one academic year at Berea before studying abroad, and they are expected to return to campus for at least one full term afterwards. At the time of application, students must meet the appropriate minimum cumulative GPA requirement:

  • 2.8 for Berea Term Abroad
  • 2.25 for Summer Abroad (including BIST)

An exception to this requirement may be granted if extenuating circumstances warrant. Students should consult with the Education Abroad Advisor about such an exception prior to submitting an application.


Students must be 18 years of age or older at the time of travel.


Berea College permits the use of funds for student international travel to support one trip of any kind (credit or non-credit) per student during the student’s years at the College. Proposals for travel will be evaluated in a competitive process and will be subject to available funds. No funding will be provided for independent studies, team-initiated studies or internships in international settings. No institutional funding or fundraising will be provided for performance groups, even though associated with a Summer I class, beyond that available through restricted endowed accounts held by academic departments.

Travel Warnings

Berea College will not fund, recognize or grant credit to students traveling internationally to areas under a US Department of State Travel Warning, areas strongly advised to avoid by the World Health Organization or areas which may, in the sound judgment of Berea College be deemed high risk (such as regions mentioned in a US Department of State Travel Alert). Exceptions to this policy will be granted only through an “Application for an Exception to Travel Warning Policy.” Consult with the Education Abroad Advisor for information about how to request such an exception.

»See Current Travel Warnings 

International Students and Education Abroad

F-1 International students are already having an intercultural experience through study at Berea, but there are a few ways to make a secondary study abroad experience possible. Read more.

Students with other Immigration Statuses

Students here under the status of DACA, permanent residency or refugee may be eligible for certain study abroad experiences, and need to consult with the Education Abroad Advisor at least 6 months prior.

Catalog and Student Handbook

Berea College has also established several Education-Abroad Policies that are published in the Catalog and Student Handbook:

  • Policy on Education-Abroad Funding
  • Policy on Probation and Education Abroad
  • Policy on Continuing Abroad for a Second Term
  • Policy on Medical Immunizations for Education Abroad

»See: Catalog and Student Handbook