W (10-11am, 1:20-2:20pm)
- CHM 131 B (Mon/Wed/Fri: 8:00 am – 9:10 am) (Tue: 12:00 pm – 2:50 pm)
- CHM 222 (Mon/Wed/Fri: 12:00 pm – 1:10 pm) (Mon: 2:40 pm – 5:30 pm)
- B.A., Macalester College, St. Paul, Minnesota, 2002
- Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2007
Honors and Awards
- Research Corporation Cottrell College Science Award-$48,771 (2008)
- Centenary College Student/Faculty Summer Research Award-$6,500 (2008)
- Centenary College Summer Research Award-$1,250 (2008)
- Southwest Affiliate of College and University Residence Halls Faculty/Staff of the Month (June 2008)
- Francis P. Venable Fellow (UNC) (2002)
- Associate of Chemistry Graduate Students First-Year Representative (UNC) (2002)
- Iota Sigma Pi National Honor Society (2001)
- Organic Chemistry I lecture and lab
- Organic Chemistry II lecture and lab
- Advanced Synthesis
- Advanced Organic Chemistry
- American Chemical Society
Papers and Publications
- Garrett, M. N.; Johnson, J.S. In Science of Synthesis Knowledge Updates 2012; Shortt de Hernandez, M. F., Muirhead-Hofmann, K. M., Smith, M., Weston, M., White, M., Reeve, T., Russell, A., Eds.; Thieme-Chemistry: Stuttgart, Germany, 2012; pp. 1-84.
- Garrett, M. R.; Tarr, J. C.; Johnson, J. S. “Enantioselective Metallophosphite-Catalyzed C-Acylation of Nitrones.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2007, 129, 12944-12945.
- Nahm, M. R.; Potnick, J. R.; White, P. S.; Johnson, J. S. “Metallophosphite-Catalyzed Asymmetric Acylation of alpha,beta-Unsaturated Amides.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2006, 128, 2751-2756.
- Nahm, M. R.; Linghu, X.; Potnick, J. R.; Yates, C. M.; White, P. S.; Johnson, J. S. “Metallophosphite-Induced Nucleophilic Acylation of alpha,beta-Unsaturated Amides: Facilitated Catalysis by a Diastereoselective Retro [1,4] Brook Rearrangement” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2005, 44, 2377-2379.
I grew up in Danville, Kentucky. I obtained my B.A. from Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota, then my Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill in organic chemistry. I taught for two years at a small liberal arts college in Shreveport, Louisiana, Centenary College, and have returned to Kentucky to be closer to family and advance Berea’s mission to educate those of great potential and limited economic resources. My husband is also a chemist and we have a daughter that was born on March 24, 2009.