Come out and Join us for any of these events!
- MLK Day Speaker — January 15, from 3-4:15 pm in Phelps Stokes Auditorium — The performance features riveting storytelling, emotionally stirring songs of the Civil Rights era and a graphic video montage celebrating an unsung sheroe of the Civil Rights and Social Justice Movement, whose story became a catalyst for the passage of the Voting Rights Act of 1965. This entertaining production will take the audience on a journey back in time, focusing on the struggle for human dignity and freedom in the U.S. and beyond. Co- sponsored with the Black Cultural Center (BCC), Carter G. Woodson Center for Interracial Education (CGWC), African and African-American Studies, CCC, and the President’s Office.
- Volunteer Extravaganza — January 16, from 5-7 pm in Alumni — Join CELTS on January 16 for our spring Volunteer Extravaganza. Check out all of the volunteer opportunities for students to be involved in here on campus. Would you like to tutor or mentor a young person? Visit the elderly? Help build a house? Check out our volunteer opportunities before attending the extravaganza at www.berea.edu/celts.
- All CELTS Volunteer Training — January 24, 8 pm in Stephenson.
- All CELTS Volunteer Training — January 25, 4:30 pm in Stephenson.
- KY Center for Economic Progress — January 26, 8 am-4:30 pm in Lexington; to RSVP, talk to Ashley Cochrane.
- Program Specific Volunteer Training — January 28 – February 2 (Programming begins the week of February 5th).
- Service Convocation — March 22, 3-4:15 pm in Phelps Stokes — Shannon Maynard, executive director at the Congressional Hunger Center in Washington, D.C., works on understanding the root causes of hunger and finding solutions to food insecurity, both domestically and globally. She addresses how she has focused throughout her career on empowering individuals to become involved in community-based solutions in the fight against hunger. Sponsored by the Center for Excellence in Learning through Service (CELTS) and the CCC.
- Empty Bowls — March 28, 5:30-7pm — Empty Bowls will be held on March 28, 2018 (Wednesday) from 5:30pm until 7pm this year! We would like to give a huge thank you to our co-sponsors: Ceramics Club, Crafts Outreach Program, and Dining Services. We would love to see everyone out there, supporting our mission against hunger through this fantastic event!
- Service Expo — April 18 — Join us to learn about the community-engaged work from service-learning courses and community service programs from the fall semester. Attend to learn and to generate ideas for future projects. Contact Ashley Cochrane for more information.