- Shyeila Bowers Named a Newman Civic Fellow — “Shyeila “Shy” Bowers, a junior at Berea College, is one of 262 students named as a Newman Civic Fellow for 2019-2020 by Campus Compact, a Boston-based non-profit organization advancing the public purposes of higher education… At Berea College, Bowers was selected as a Bonner Scholar, a service and leadership program empowering students to become solution seekers. She developed her capacities as an agent of social change by serving as the student coordinator for the Diversity Peer Education Team(DPET), helping cultivate opportunities for individuals to freely engage in critical dialogue.” For more information, see the full article here.
- 2019 Empty Bowls Fundraiser — Thanks to our dedicated organizers, volunteers, local business contributors, and impressive community participation, this year’s Empty Bowls event resulted in a $2538.31 total donation to our local food bank!
- 26th Annual Hunger Hurts Food Drive — Bag drop-off, Saturday, October 27; Food pick-up, Saturday, November 3rd — Join us for this community-wide effort to stock the shelves of the Berea Community Food Bank. Contact Sheila Lyons for more information. Contact Sarah Rohrer for more information.
- Kentucky Engagement Conference – Civil Dialogue: Approaches and Applications — Friday, November 3 (off-campus location TBA, probably Louisville area) — This Kentucky Campus Compact-sponsored conference is designed for faculty, staff, and students. We will share additional information as it is available. Contact Ashley Cochrane for more information.
- Learning through Service Expo — Wednesday, November 29 from 4 to 6 p.m. in Baird Lounge of Alumni Building — Join us to learn about the community-engaged work from service-learning courses and community service programs from the fall semester. Attend to learn and to generate ideas for future projects. Contact Ashley Cochrane for more information.
- Dr. Andrea Woodward will be the Service-Learning Faculty Fellow this year, joining us in developing civic engagement programming and resources. The Faculty Fellow also helps to implement service-learning programming, including faculty development programs like the summer Service-Learning Course Design Seminar.
Stay posted for events to come!
In the News