Bonner Selection and Recruitment
The application process for the Bonner Scholars Program is competitive and highly selective. Each year, fifteen students are chosen as Bonner Scholars from the incoming class of First Year students. (Sophomore level students can apply to the program if openings become available.)
Selection begins with submission of the application. Successful candidates are chosen based upon their commitment to service, demonstrated leadership, scholastic ability, and maturity reflected in their application.
Once applications are received, they are screened by an advisory committee composed of program staff, current Bonner Scholars, selected Berea staff and faculty members, and community partners.
From the initial pool of applicants approximately 25-30 semi-finalist are selected and invited to campus to learn more about the program and to interact with current Bonner staff and students.
Finalists are selected based on their successful participation in Bonner Preview Weekend which includes a series of planned group activities, a face-to-face interview , and final consideration of the following selection criteria:
- Has secured admission to Berea College ;
- Has demonstrated significant community service through school, faith community, or in the home community;
- Has demonstrated a commitment to making connections between service initiatives and personal as well as academic life;
- Has demonstrated willingness to engage and explore the Bonner Common Commitments.
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest in the Bonner Scholars Program at Berea College. The application period for domestic students who wish to be a part of the Bonner Scholars Class of 2018 is now closed. The application process for international students will take place in summer, 2014.
A completed application to be a Berea College Bonner Scholar must include the following components.
- Online Application
- Two endorsement forms (online form or in the form of a letter) to be completed by individuals who are familiar with your service activities and who have worked with you on a regular basis for at least one semester (not family members or friends).
If you choose not to use the online forms, the application materials can be mailed or faxed:
Bonner Scholars Program – CELTS
Berea, KY 40404
Please contact Katie Basham, Coordinator of Bonner Scholars First Year Program with any questions. firstname.lastname@example.org or 859.985.3606.