The Margaret A. Cargill (MAC) Natural Sciences and Health Building houses the College’s natural science disciplines, nursing and mathematics departments. Berea College’s science departments were previously housed in the Charles Martin Hall Science Building, which was built in 1924 and updated in 1984. The nursing department previously resided in the Hafer-Gibson building, built in 1970.
Nearly 1,000 alumni, friends, faculty, staff and students joined together to help exceed the building’s $10 million campaign goal, raising more than $12 million in less than two years. The MAC Natural Sciences and Health building propels Berea College into the 21st century and builds on the College’s long tradition of providing its students with outstanding educational opportunities and facilities.
The MAC building is also one of 84 buildings worldwide awarded the Forest Stewardship Council’s Full Project Certification. Given by the Forest Stewardship Council, the certification represents Berea College’s dedication to upholding positive environmental practices by highlighting that the MAC building achieved high performance in sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection and indoor environmental quality. For more information, read our Berea College Science Building Gains LEED Green Building Gold and FSC Certifications article.
- Date built: 2018
- Square feet: 125,000