Frost Cottage was designated as a space for Non Traditional Students in 2011. Since then it has been a site for community building, academic support, and resource provision for Non Traditional Students, with a focus on sustainability.
History of Frost Cottage
Architect: George H. Gray, New Have CT
The Frost Cottage was built cast of Morningside women’s residence (College Hospital) and served as President Emeritus and Mrs. Frost’s rent free home until their deaths Grey’s design relied heavily on a New England wood frame and shingle style. Sash windows supported the facia and the asymmetrical and pedimented entranceway was supported by square wooden Doric piers. On the back, the roof of the two- story house was broken by dormer windows. President Frost had suffered a number of illnesses from 1918 until his retirement in 1920; in fact the Board of Trustees gave him a year’s leave with pay in 1919. William and Eleanor Frost moved into the house in November, 1920 one month after William J. Hutchins was inaugurated President of the college, During Hutchins’ inaugural year on the Berea College campus, American women were given the right to vote and Prohibition was introduced. Earlier when William Goodell Frost became College President in 1893 Berea College enrolled 354 students and upon his retirement the College enrolled 2,675 students. Much loved College Dean, Louis Smith, lived in the house until his death. In latter years , the cottage served as a residence for single mothers or a designated student residence.[Cited from Dr. Robert Boyce, Building A College: An Architectural History of Berea College ]