Date Built: 1938
Square Feet: 52,000
Mrs. Helen Draper Ayer of Massachusetts and later of California created a trust fund, The Draper Foundation, in memory of her Kentucky-born mothers, Mrs. Jessie Preston Draper. She gave Berea $200,000 from this fund with the stipulation the money should be used to aid in educating students from Appalachia. Other gifts, including $50,000 given in memory of Henry C. Munger by his sister, brought the total to $340,000, with which this colonial-style structure was built in 1938 (modeled after Independence Hall in Philadelphia).
The Draper Building includes classrooms, faculty offices, a student commons area on the 2nd and 3rd floors, campus ministry and the Danforth Chapel.
In June 2000, renovation began on the Draper Building tower for the installation of a 56-bell Carillon. The Carillon is an instrument consisting of bells that plays like a piano or organ. The musical instrument weighs 11 tons. The Berea College Carillon is the largest in Kentucky.