Track Leader: Paul Wright and Les Roll
Track Description: As we learn to plan and invest in our post-coal economy communities, many people are trying new approaches to grow their local economy. They envision a new economy that creates and retains wealth for more people and is intentional in community benefits and provides an alternative to recruiting the next extractive industry or exporting our young people just to earn a living. This track will present creative ways to identify, retain and grow businesses, leverage local assets while building an economy that creates value for both entrepreneurs and communities.
Participants in this track will:
- Make new connections to other people and resources that are supporting entrepreneurship
- Be introduced to asset-based community economic development approaches and best practices
- Hear from community leaders how they leveraged local assets to spur entrepreneurship
- Learn ways to support enterprises at different stages of development and sector development
- Develop a plan of action to start building or strengthening your local entrepreneur environment.
- Experience a culture of support, creativity and innovation to take home to your community.
Community leaders who are interested in supporting new businesses in their rural communities. Scholarships reserved for persons actively working on teams who are focused on entrepreneurship, community-driven economic development or downtown redevelopment projects in Central Appalachia and East Kentucky.
BEGINNER TO INTERMEDIATE