- How can I seek funding for my registration fee?
- Does Brushy Fork offer scholarships?
- Can I pay by credit card?
- What is a track at the Brushy Fork Annual Institute?
- Can I participate in more than one track session?
- Can I move from track-to-track during the Annual Institute?
- Why must I indicate a first and second track choice?
- May I request a track change after registration?
- What is your substitution and cancellation policy?
- What forms of payment do you accept?
- Where should I go for registration and check-in on the day of the event?
- How do I get to campus?
- Where am I allowed to park on campus?
- What are my options for lodging?
- What sort of attire should I wear?
- What if I still have questions?
- Seek sponsoring organizations.
- Partner with individuals who support your cause.
- If you are a member of an organization’s board, ask the organization to provide you with training to improve your input as a board member.
- Challenge organizations and agencies in your community to support leadership opportunities for local citizens.
- Request funding from special grant initiatives for nonprofit organizations.
If you have a regular funder, talk to your program officer about the possibility of receiving funding for staff and board development.
2. Does Brushy Fork offer scholarships?
Brushy Fork occasionally secures limited funding for participant scholarships to the Annual Institute through our grant partners, whose generous support provides for scholarship programs. See more information about available scholarship opportunities.
4. What is a track at the Brushy Fork Annual Institute?
Our workshop tracks consist of 14 hours of intensive skill-based training. Participants stay in one focused track session for the duration of the institute. We limit the number of participants in each track so that individuals receive close attention from the track leader.
5. Can I participate in more than one track?
Our tracks run concurrently, making it impossible to participate in more than one. Tracks are planned intentionally with closely integrated sessions that build upon one another sequentially. As such, participants would miss valuable sessions and requisite information if they moved among tracks. The Annual Institute is offered each year, and we encourage participants to return to future institutes to pursue and participate in one of our many other sessions.
6. Can I move from track-to-track during the Annual Institute?
No. Each participant picks one track and follows that track for the entire Institute. Sessions in each track typically build on one another, so that participants should follow the sessions consecutively in order to get the full benefit.
7. What if my track choice is unavailable?
Track capacity is limited and some tracks may be full when you register. Early registration helps ensure placement in your first track choice. If your first choice is unavailable you may contact us at 859.985.3858 to request addition to a track session waiting list. Meanwhile, we encourage you to register for another session that appeals to your professional development interests.
8. May I request a track change after registration?
If you register for a track and then decide you would like to switch to a different track, please notify us at least five business days before the Annual Institute begins. Track numbers are limited so we have to be sure there is room in the track you are changing to and we need to be sure to have enough copies of track handouts and other materials for you.
9. What is your substitution and cancellation policy?
We encourage substitution of participants rather than cancellation. Substitution requests will be accepted up to September 19, 2014, and requests are subject to track availability.
Notice of cancellation must be received by September 12, 2014 to receive a full refund. If cancellation notice is received after September 12 and up to 5 days before the start of the event, you will be assessed a $50 cancellation fee. If a cancellation notice is received less than 5 business days prior to the event, no refund will be issued.
Brushy Fork Institute reserves the right to cancel any scheduled track session at any time. If your track is cancelled, you may choose another session or request a full registration refund.
10. What forms of payment do you accept?
For online registrations, attendees may pay via all major credit cards or request an invoice for payment. Offline payments may be made via check. For organizations requiring an invoice, we will bill you upon request. Payment is due within 30 days of invoice receipt.
11. Where should I go for registration and check-in on the day of the event?
Registration | Check-In will be available on Tuesday, September 23, beginning at 11 am for those arriving early. For participants who do not register on Tuesday, registration will be available from 8 am to 9 am on Wednesday, September 24. All registrations will take place in the lobby of the Alumni Building, which is designated on the campus map linked below.
12. How do I get to campus?
We suggest using an online mapping service such as MapQuest or Google Maps to map the event from your departing address. The address for the center of the Berea College campus is 101 Chestnut Street, Berea, KY 40403. General directions are also available.
13. Where am I allowed to park on campus?
You will receive a parking permit and a map of designated parking areas when checking in at the registration desk. This permit should be placed in the driver’s side rear window of your vehicle to avoid ticketing. If you prefer to receive these items by mail prior to the Annual Institute, please contact Beth Curlin Weber at email@example.com or 859.985.3861. You may also access an online map (PDF file) of approved parking areas.
14. What are my options for lodging?
Please remember that you are responsible for the reservation and payment of your own lodging. You may view local lodging options here. Additionally, limited on-campus lodging is available on a first-come basis at Historic Boone Tavern Hotel & Restaurant. Call the hotel directly at 859.985.3700 to make reservations and be sure to ask about the special Brushy Fork Annual Institute rate.
15. What sort of attire should I wear?
Participants are welcome to dress casually for the Annual Institute, but we always advise attendees to bring what they need to be comfortable. Keep in mind that session rooms may be either warm or cool, so dressing in versatile, removable layers is recommended.
16. What if I still have questions?
Our staff is available to assist with any additional questions or concerns you may have. If you need additional information or assistance, please give us a call at 859.985.3858. We’re available Monday through Friday from 8:00-5:00.