- How can I seek funding for my registration fee?
- Does Brushy Fork offer scholarships?
- Can I pay by credit card?
- What is a track at the Brushy Fork Annual Institute?
- Can I participate in more than one track session?
- Can I move from track-to-track during the Annual Institute?
- What if my track choice is unavailable?
- May I request a track change after registration?
- What is your substitution and cancellation policy?
- What forms of payment do you accept?
- Where should I go for registration and check-in on the day of the event?
- How do I get to campus?
- Where am I allowed to park on campus?
- What are my options for lodging?
- What sort of attire should I wear?
- What if I still have questions?
- Seek sponsoring organizations.
- Partner with individuals who support your cause.
- If you are a member of an organization’s board, ask the organization to provide you with training to improve your input as a board member.
- Challenge organizations and agencies in your community to support leadership opportunities for local citizens.
- Request funding from special grant initiatives for nonprofit organizations.
If you have a regular funder, talk to your program officer about the possibility of receiving funding for staff and board development.
4. What is a track at the Brushy Fork Annual Institute?
Our workshop tracks make up the instructional portions of Days 2 and 3 of the Institute. A track consists of 10 hours of intensive skill-based training in a single topic. Participants stay in one focused track session for most of the Institute. We limit the number of participants in each track so that individuals receive close attention from the track leader.
Day 1 of this year’s Brushy Fork Annual Institute offers multiple 90-minute sessions, allowing participants to participate in a variety of conversations.
The workshop tracks on Days 2 and 3 run concurrently, making it impossible to participate in more than one. Tracks are planned intentionally with closely integrated content blocks that build upon one another sequentially. As such, participants would miss valuable instruction and requisite information if they moved among tracks. The Annual Institute is offered each year, and we encourage participants to return to future Institutes to pursue and participate in one of our many other topics.
6. Can I move from track-to-track during the Annual Institute?
No. Each participant picks one track and follows that track for the entire Institute. Workshops in each track typically build on one another, so that participants should follow the workshop consecutively in order to get the full benefit.
7. What if my track choice is unavailable?
Track capacity is limited and some tracks may be full when you register. Early registration helps ensure placement in your first track choice. If your first choice is unavailable, we encourage you to register for another session that appeals to your professional development interests.
8. May I request a track change after registration?
Yes. If you register for a track and then decide you would like to switch to a different session, please notify us at least five business days before the Annual Institute.
9. What is your substitution and cancellation policy?
We encourage substitution of participants rather than cancellation. Substitution requests will be accepted up to September 13, 2017, and requests are subject to track availability.
Notice of cancellation must be received by September 1, 2017 to receive a full refund. If cancellation notice is received after September 1 and up to 5 days before the start of the event, you will be assessed a $50 cancellation fee. If a cancellation notice is received less than 5 business days prior to the event, no refund will be issued.
Brushy Fork Institute reserves the right to cancel any scheduled track session at any time. If your track is cancelled, you may choose another session or request a full registration refund.
10. What forms of payment do you accept?
For online registrations, attendees may pay via all major credit cards or request an invoice for payment. Offline payments may be made by check. For organizations requiring an invoice, we will bill you upon request. Payment is due within 30 days of invoice receipt.
11. Where should I go for registration and check-in on the day of the event?
Registration | Check-In will be available on Tuesday, September 19, beginning at 7:30 am. All registrations will take place in the lobby of the Alumni Building, which is designated on the campus map linked below.
12. How do I get to campus?
We suggest using an online mapping service such as MapQuest or Google Maps to map the event from your departing address. The address for the center of the Berea College campus is 101 Chestnut Street, Berea, KY 40403.
13. Where am I allowed to park on campus?
You will receive a parking permit and a map of designated parking areas when checking in at the registration desk. This permit should be placed in the driver’s side window of your vehicle to avoid ticketing. You may also access an online map (PDF file) of approved parking areas.
14. What are my options for lodging?
Please remember that you are responsible for the reservation and payment of your own lodging. You may view local lodging options here.
Limited on-campus lodging is available on a first-come basis at the Historic Boone Tavern Hotel & Restaurant. Call the hotel directly at 859.985.3700 to make reservations and be sure to ask about the special Brushy Fork Annual Institute rate.
15. What sort of attire should I wear?
Participants are welcome to dress casually for the Annual Institute, but we suggest you bring what you need to be comfortable. Temperatures vary among session rooms, so dressing in versatile, removable layers is recommended.