The Biology Department curriculum is designed to enable students to understand scientific inquiry and to introduce them to the major areas of biological science. Objectives of the department are:
- to increase knowledge and appreciation of biological systems from the cell to the ecosystem,
- to create awareness and understanding of the role of the biological sciences in social and economic affairs,
- to emphasize the importance of interdisciplinary science proficiency and experiences,
- to develop critical and independent thinking skills, and
- to provide the biological background necessary for entrance into a career or into graduate or professional school.
- Qualified students may serve as departmental laboratory and teaching assistants, and may engage in faculty-directed research and independent study opportunities.