Professor of Biology
At Berea College since 1994
Office: MAC 324
Tues: 1 – 2:00 p.m.
Wed: 4 – 5:00 p.m.
Thur: 1 – 2:45 p.m.
- BIO 110 (Thur: 8:30 a.m. – 11:20 a.m.) (Mon/Wed/Fri: 10:40 a.m. – 11:50 a.m.)
- BIO 325 (Tue: 8:30 a.m. – 11:20 a.m.) (Mon/Wed/Fri: 2:40 p.m. – 3:50 p.m.)
Ph.D. – Washington University, ’90
B.A. – Dartmouth College, ’83
- GSTR 110 Freshman Writing Seminar I: Critical Thinking
- GSTR 332 Scientific Origins
- BIO 110 Modern Biology
- BIO 331 Developmental Biology
- BIO 325 Neurobiology
Major Research Interests
- Science Education
- Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning (POGIL) and other learning-centered pedagogies
- Developmental Neurobiology
- Development of the pectoralis nerve and muscle in chicken embryos
2018: Berea College Seabury Award for Excellence in Teaching
2013: Outstanding College/University Teacher Award from the Kentucky Academy of Science
2011: “Get a Life Outside of Berea” award from the senior class
2010: Monkey Bible Contest award for innovative methods of teaching evolution
2007: Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society Member
1999: Cutting Edge Award, Second place, Appalachian College Association Technology Summit
1999: Paul C. Hager Excellence in Advising Award, Berea College
Tri-Beta Biology Honor Society
1983-86: National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship
1983: A.B. awarded cum laude, Dartmouth College
1982-83: Rufus Choate Scholar, Dartmouth College
- Kentucky Academy of Science
- KAS Speakers Bureau
- The POGIL Project
- Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience
Richardson, S. and Hoffman, M. (2019) “Team Construction and Accountability” in POGIL: An Introduction to Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning for Those Who Wish to Empower Learners. Shawn R. Simonson, ed. Stylus Publishing.
Supplemental Classroom Materials
Trout, L., ed. 2012. POGIL Activities for AP Biology. Flinn Scientific, Inc. Biology Content Editor for the 32 guided-learning activities, and editor-at-large.
Trout, L., ed. 2012. POGIL Activities for High School Biology. Flinn Scientific, Inc. Biology Content Editor for the 32 guided-learning activities, and editor-at-large.
Trout, L., ed. 2012. POGIL Activities for High School Chemistry. Flinn Scientific, Inc. Editor-at-large.