Visiting Associate Professor of Biology
Hall Science Building, 207
Mon/Fri: 3:00pm – 4:00pm
Thur: 4:00pm – 6:00pm
I have an “open-door” policy. I am here to help you as needed. If you have any questions, concerns, or just want to chat, please do drop by my office anytime I am there and I will gladly talk with you.
- BIO 110 A (Mon/Wed/Fri: 9:20am – 10:30am) (Thur: 12:00pm – 2:50pm)
- BIO 310 (Mon/Wed/Fri: 1:20pm – 3:30pm) (Tues: 12:00pm – 2:50pm)
- A.B. Biology, Harvard-Radcliffe
- Ph.D. Ecology and Evolution, Cornell University
Honors and Awards
- Senior Visiting Scholar, 2016, Fudan University
- V. Dropkin Postdoctoral Fellow, 2003, University of Chicago
- Art Neish Young Investigator, 2002, Phytochemical Society of America
- BIO 110 (Modern Biology)
- BIO 310 (Ecology)
- BIO 386 (Ecological Genomics)
- GSTR 332 (Scientific Knowledge & Inquiry)
- GST 186 (Life Science Bridge)
- Soccer! Anytime, anywhere
- Fossil collecting
- Eradicating invasive plants
- Sigma Xi, Scientific Research Society
- Kentucky WaterWatch
- Kentucky Academy of Science
- Frontiers in Plant Science (Editorial Reviewer)
Publications (last three years)
- Liu M, Pan X, Zhang Z, Traw MB, and L Bo (2017) Specificity of herbivore-induced responses in an invasive species, Alternanthera philoxeroides (alligator weed). Ecology and Evolution DOI: 10.1002/ece3.3615
- Saleem M, Ji H, Amirullah A, and MB Traw (2017) Pseudomonas syringas pv. tomato DC3000 growth in multiple gene knockouts predicts interactions among hormonal, biotic, and abiotic stress responses. European J. Plant Pathology 149:779-786
- Saleem M, Meckes N, Pervaiz ZH, and MB Traw (2017) Microbial interactions with phyllosphere increase plant performance under herbivore biotic stress. Frontiers in Microbiology 8:41.
- Griffin EA, Traw MB, Morin PJ, Pruitt JN, Wright SJ, and WP Carson (2016) Foliar bacteria and soil fertility mediate seedling performance: a new and cryptic dimension of niche differentiation. Ecology 97:2998-3008.
- Lariviere A, Limeri LB, Meindl GA, and MB Traw (2015) Herbivory and relative growth rates of Piers rapae are correlated with host constitutive salicylic acid and flowering time. J. Chem Ecology 41:350-359
- Zhang N, Tonsor S, and MB Traw (2015) A geographic cline of leaf salicylic acid with increasing elevation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Signaling & Behavior 10:e992741.
My family roots are here in the Bluegrass (all the way back to Fort Boonesborough!). I lived in Richmond as a young child and then near Boston, MA for high school and college. I am glad to be back in the area, exploring the outdoors and enjoying the arts community.