What’s “The Story” with sustainability initiatives at Berea? Berea College has had a long commitment to sustainability with its commitment to “plain and sustainable living.” From College operations to community engagement, Berea continues to lead in creating a more sustainable community on campus and off. What are some of the things Berea College has been doing?
- Big reductions in energy consumption
- LEED buildings and sustainable renovations
- Students, faculty and staff working with the City of Berea on energy plans and food security
- Working with local schools on student gardens, and regional communities on local foods
- Focus on organic and sustainable food production on the College farm
- Environmentally and socially responsible forestry practices
- Courses and projects in sustainable design and construction practices
These are just a few of the things we will talk about in the coming months in this blog. Berea College has a great story to tell – a story that will continue to evolve on a day-to-day basis in our curriculum, our public service and our operations.
Steve Karcher, Vice President for Operations and Sustainability, Berea College