While Berea College faculty proudly focus primarily on being and becoming excellent classroom teachers, Berea College faculty and staff are also active intellectuals and scholars within their academic disciplines and professional areas. During the 2013-14 academic year, Berea College faculty and staff published works in university presses and disciplinary journals; they performed and exhibited stunning works of art. Berea College faculty and staff are quintessential teacher/scholars/creators/performers. Below, we highlight and celebrate their achievements.
– Dr. Linda Strong-Leek, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs
For the 2013-2014 Year
- Ahrens, Thomas (translation), Erich Hackl, and Edward Larkin (translation). Argentina’s Angel. Portsmouth: Riverrun Select, 2014.
- Ayers, Shan. Scenes from the Common Wealth: Short Plays and Monologues by Kentucky Women. Louisville: MotesBooks, 2013.
- Ayers, Shan. “Quilts by Men: Berea Arts Council Quilt Extravaganza.” Berea Arts Council. 139 N Broadway, Berea, KY 40403. 2014.
- D’Souza, K.N., S.L. Rastle-Simpson, A.K. Redhead, Q.S. Baptiste, B. Smith and M. Knights. “Gonadotropin stimulation using P.G. 600® on reproductive success of non-lactating anestrous ewes.” Animal Reproduction Science 148, no. 3-4 (2014): 115-120.
Adanma O. Barton
- Barton, Adanma. ‘ASK’ (Atkinson, Simms and Kermode). Television Commercial: Woman. Media Merchant, 2013.
- Barton, Adanma. Afterword to This is My Heart for You, A Play. Berea, KY: Berea College Press, 2014.
- Basham, Katherine and Megan Hughes. “Creating and Sustaining Interfaith Cooperation on Christian Campuses: Tools and Challenges.” Journal of College and Character 13, no. 2 (2013): 1940-1639.
- Calkins, Mark. “Gala Fund Raising Concert.” Concert hosted at New Cancer Center, Georgia Regents University, Augusta, GA, April 19, 2014.
- Calkins, Mark. “Master Classes in Opera Performance.” Course offered at Conservatorio Nacional de Música, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic: Conservatorio Nacional de Música, August 2013.
- Calkins, Mark. “Master Class in Musical Theatre Performance.” Course offered at The Kentucky Governor’s School for the Arts, July 2014.
- Clark, S. “Resource-use and partial-budget analysis of a transition to reduced-input and organic practices and direct marketing: a student-farm case study.” Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development 4 (2014): 113-130.
- Khoshnevisan, B., M.A. Rajaeifar, S. Clark, S. Shamahirband, N.B. Anuar, N.L. Mohd Shuib & A. Gani. “Evaluation of traditional and consolidated rice farms in Guilan Province, Iran, using life cycle assessment and fuzzy modeling.” Science of the Total Environment 481 (2014): 242-251.
- Khoshnevisan, B., S. Rafiee, M. Omid, H. Mousazadeh, S. Clark. “Environmental impact assessment of tomato and cucumber cultivation in greenhouses using life cycle assessment and adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system.” Journal of Cleaner Production 73 (2014): 183-192.
- Clark, S. and J. Meyer. “Financial comparison of organic potato production using different integrated pest management systems.” 2013 Fruit and Vegetable Crops Research Report. University of Kentucky Agricultural Experiment Station. PR673: 33-36.
- Clavere, Javier. “Complete Keyboard Sonatas by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.” Performance given at Berea College, Gray Auditorium, and webcast to Bosendorf, Vienna. September 12-14, 2014.
Ashley Cochrane and Heather Schill
- Cochrane, A., & Schill, H. M. “Learning through service: Structures that promote student leadership.” Deepening community engagement in higher education: Forging new pathways. New York, NY: Palgrave MacMillan (2013): 29-40.
- Doherty, Meghan. “Discovering the ‘True Form:’ Hooke’s Micrographia and the Visual Vocabulary of Engraved Portraits.” Notes and Records of the Royal Society of London 66, no. 2 (2012): 211-234.
- Doherty, Meghan. “The Young-man’s Time Well Spent: A Seventeenth-Century Drawing Manual and its Sources.” Publishing the Fine and Applied Arts: 1500-2000. New Castle, Delaware and London: Oak Knoll and The British Library (2012): 51-78.
- Doherty, Meghan. “Creating Standards of Accuracy: Faithorne’s The Art of Graveing and the Royal Society,” Science in Print: Essays on the History of Science and the Culture of Print. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press (2012): 15-36.
- Gardner, Kevin. “Evolving Revolving 13.” Ann Tower Gallery. 141 E Main St, Lexington, KY 40507. 2014
- Gardner, Kevin. “Scrimmage.” Stutz Art Gallery. 212 W 10th St, Indianapolis, IN 46202. 2014.
- Gardner, Kevin. “The 20.” Lexington Arts League. 209 Castlewood Drive, Lexington, KY 40505. 2014.
- Gonzalez, Ray. “Potters of Madison County.” Berea Arts Council. 139 N Broadway, Berea, KY 40403. 2014.
- Gonzalez, Ray. “The State of Clay.” ArtsPlace Gallery. 161 North Mill Street Lexington, KY 40507. 2014.
- Grzimek, Volker, Melanie Marks, and Eric Kinnamon. “Do Differences in GPA Impact Attitudes about Group Work? A Comparison of Business and Non-Business Majors.” Journal of Education for Business 89, no. 5 (2014): 263-273.
- Guthman, Joshua. “‘Doubts still assail me’: Uncertainty and the Making of the Primitive Baptist Self in the Antebellum United States.” Religion and American Culture 23, no. 1 (2013): 75–100.
- Hall, Sarah L., Rebecca L. McCulley, Robert J. Barney, and Timothy D. Phillips. “Does Fungal Endophyte Infection Improve Tall Fescue’s Growth Response to Fire and Water Limitation.” Plos One 9, no. 1 (2014).
- Rodrigo, M. T., T. C. S. Andallaza, F. E. V. G. Castro, M. L. V. Armenta, T. T. Dy, and M. C. Jadud. “An Analysis of Java Programming Behaviors, Affect, Perceptions, and Syntax Errors Among Low-Achieving, Average, and High-Achieving Novice Programmers.” Journal of Educational Computing Research 49, no. 3 (2013): 293-325.
- Jadud, M. C., Namukaba Hichilo, Hatinawedu Mupiwa, Logan Ray,and M. P. Mahoney. “The Siren Song of Open Hardware/Software in Wireless Sensor Design.” Journal of Computing in Small Colleges 25, no. 5 (2014): 7-13.
Libby Falk Jones
- Jones, Libby Falk. “About.” Still: The Journal no. 15, Summer 2014, http://www.stilljournal.net/libbyfalk-jones-poetry.php.
- Jones, Libby Falk. “17 photographs.” St. Joseph Hospital, 305 Estill St, Berea, KY 40403 and St. Joseph Hospital East, 150 N Eagle Creek Drive, Lexington, KY 40509. June-July 2014.
hooks, bell. Appalachian Elegy: Poetry and Place. Lexington, KY: University of Kentucky Press, 2012.
(Winner of the Black Caucus of the American Library Association’s Best Poetry Award for 2013).
- House, Silas.”In My Own Country.” Talking Appalachian: Voice, Identity, and Community. Amy Clark and Nancy Hayward, eds. Lexington, KY: University Press of Kentucky, 2013.
- House, Silas. “The Art of Being Still.” The New York Times Sunday Review, Dec. 2012.
Libby Falk Jones
- Jones, Libby Falk. “The Difference Between Quill Pens and Sumi-e Brushes.” Alhambra Poetry Calendar 2013. Shafiq Naz, ed. New York: Alhambra, 2012.
- Jones, Libby Falk. “Northern February,” “For Your Good Health, Drink Flowers,” and “The Angel of Shoestring Potatoes.” Alhambra Poetry Calendar for Young Readers 2013. Shafiq Naz, ed. New York: Alhambra, 2012.
- Jones, Libby Falk. “Listening In.” The National Teaching and Learning Forum 22, no. 1 (2012): 8-10.
- Jones, Libby Falk. “Climbing.” Flash: an Anthology. Ashley Parker Owens, ed. Charleston, S.C.: KYStory (2012): 80-84.
- Jones, Libby Falk. “Renewing Words.” The National Teaching and Learning Forum 21, no.5 (2012): 7-8.
- Jones, Libby Falk. “Legs.” Berea College Magazine, Summer-Fall (2012): 14-17.
- Kinnamon, Eric, F. Fabian, P. Bryant, P., and P. Wright. “Tailoring Entrepreneurship Education: Exploring Components of Entrepreneurship Education for Underrepresented Groups.” Journal of Business and Entrepreneurship 23 no. 2, (2013): 1-24.
Mack, Dwayne, Elwood Watson, and Michelle Madsen Camacho, eds. Mentoring Faculty of Color: Essays on Professional Development and Advancement in Colleges and Universities. Jefferson, NC: McFarland Publishing, 2013.
- Stoner, Helen and Verlaine Stoner McDonald. Sheridan County. Charleston: Arcadia Publishing, 2013.
Neil A. Mecham
- Mecham, Neil. “Even If I Never Ate A Single Bite Of It; It Would Still Be Worth It: ‘College Students’ Gardening Experiences.” Journal of Ethnographic & Qualitative Research 6, no. 4 (2012): 231-42.
- Mills, Alan. Kentucky Made: The Art and Craft of the Mountain Dulcimer (Curated the Exhibition). Berea College, Fall 2012; and “Dulcimer Builders of Kentucky” (Gallery Talk). Traylor Gallery, Berea College, October 2012.
- Mills, Alan, Sherry Taubert, and Carol Peachee. “Change the Picture: Envisioning a Neighborhood without Teen Dating Violence.” Presentation at the Ending Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Conference, Lexington, December, 2012.
- Felten, P., Little, D., Ortquist-Ahrens, L., & Reder, M. “Fostering creative reflection: A simple heuristic for planning and improvement.” To Improve the Academy: Vol 32. J. Groccia & L. Cruz, eds. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2013.
Jeffrey L. Richey
- Richey, Jeffrey L. “Confucius.” Berkshire Dictionary of Chinese Biography. Kerry Brown, ed. Great Barrington, MA: Berkshire Publishing Group, 2013.
- Rosen, Ron, E. Berg, J. Dolan, B. King, M. Martin, and F. Mehmeti.
“Proterometra macrostoma (Trematoda: Azygiidae): Location of the Redia and Emergence Path from the Snail, Elimia semicarinata (Gastropoda: Pleuroceridae).” Journal of Parasitology 9, no. 4 (2013): 734-737.
Webb, Althea. “African Americans in Appalachia.” Oxford African American Studies Center, 2012. http://www.oxfordaasc.com/public/features/archive/0213/index.jsp.