Mission & Vision
The Strategic Planning Council of Berea College has charged the Loyal Jones Appalachian Center (LJAC) with oversight of the College’s Appalachian commitment to serve Appalachia primarily through education but also through other appropriate means. Based on Berea’s strategic plan, Being and Becoming (2011), we aspire to develop service-oriented leaders for Appalachia by sponsoring and integrating educational programs on and off campus; (2) explore and illuminate the richness of the Appalachian region, people, and cultures; and (3) assist communities, organizations, and citizens in working toward the future they envision.
The Loyal Jones Appalachian Center Aspires to…
(1) Promote Berea College’s Appalachian Commitment by
- Fostering teaching & learning for all undergraduates;
- Promoting the enrollment of students from Appalachian counties, supporting them as undergraduates, and encouraging graduates to return to the region;
- Increasing understanding and appreciation of Appalachia among faculty, staff, and alumni; and
- Maximizing synergy among programs inside and outside the LJAC.
(2) Assist communities, organizations, and citizens in working toward the future they envision by
- Promoting scholarship that benefits the Appalachian region;
- Building partnerships with communities and organizations; and
- Providing training, technical assistance, and resources for citizen leaders and regional organizations.
(3) Explore and illuminate the richness of the Appalachian region, people, and cultures by
- Celebrating, sustaining, and sharing the historical and cultural diversity of Appalachia; and
- Recognizing the importance of place and heritage in a rapidly changing world.
(4) Carry forward the work of the LJAC by
- Continuing to identify opportunities for Berea College to better serve the region;
- Assessing and updating the world of the LJAC and its programs; and
- Sustaining our work though ensuring institutional commitment and leveraging outside resources.
The LJAC works toward the following vision:
We envision a future in which Appalachian communities seek progress through democratic participation, social justice, and environmental stewardship; sustainable local economies provide meaningful work and the opportunity of the highest quality for the region’s people; and empowered citizens build upon a rich and diverse cultural heritage as they define their own visions for the future. The Appalachian Center links the region and Berea College through programs that bring valuable resources to communities and provide learning opportunities for students, faculty, and staff.
June 2013[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]